Temperature observations

Y

yago

Temperature observations
Here some observations. I have been drooping the water temperature during the last three months with the follow results:
T.carnifex. In October temperatures felt from 18 to 12 degrees. Females and males on water, the females start leaving the water during the day with some baths at night. In November temperatures felt from 12 to 8 degrees. Only the males where on water and developing their crests, males becoming more secretive. On the other hand, females almost completely terrestrial. In December temperatures felt from 8 to 4 degrees, the males left water at 5 degrees.
T.marmoratus. The same method was applied, and their behaviour was exactly the same as t.carnifex. Males with full breeding decoration and females terrestrial. When temperatures was 5 degrees the males left the water.
T.boscai. The same method was applied, the males where breeding during the 3 months regardless of temperatures changes. Males and females completely aquatic and still very active when temperatures drooped to 4 degrees. Males were breeding with females during the 3 months, I have recorded several successful breedings (sperm) collection but without any eggs yet. I would like to share some information on these theme: Does temperature affect the laying of the eggs? How come t.boscai are breeding for 3 months (females completely fatty) but without any results yet.

sounds like my luck (girls heading for higher ground) LOL

haha

steve

Yes, girls always look for higher grounds…haha
I have increased the tank temperature of the t.carnifex to 8 degrees. Results from morning, 1 males back in water and two females. The males seems to start sniffing the females.
Certainly, t.canifex thrive in temperatures over 5 degrees.

Hi Yago,

Temperature is thought to affect the rate of egg-laying, eggs are laid more often at higher temperatures. I expect that very low temperatures may result in zero eggs per day being laid! I've never heard of females not laying for three months after mating, though!

I have had T. vulgaris females refuse to lay eggs until they were supplied with appropriate plants to lay on- have you bred boscai in this setup before?

Hi Caleb, I haven’t breed t.boscai in that particular setup but I have breed them in other setups. The current setup is much bigger and quite planted with 6 kinds of plants as elodea, microphilium… and a refrigerator (temperatures now are between 7-9 degrees). T.boscai have always breed from January to June, so mines just started much earlier. But in nature t.boscai may stay from October in breeding mode till summer and females normally lay eggs by February or later. As the aquarium is next to a window an I do follow light periods with artificial light I suppose females are waiting for more prosperous conditions as in nature, warmer temperatures and more light. But, I don’t really know. I will inform when the first eggs are laid. Meanwhile, any share of ideas and experiences on the laying of eggs and temperatures are welcome since it is quite unexplored theme.
Here is a pic from today, the males still pretty active. And females completely fatty.
Regards
2090.jpg

2091.jpg

Hello again Yago,

I had been wondering how you managed to get temperatures that low in Spain... My newts are over 10 degrees in an unheated room in Northern England. How does your refrigeration system work?

Do you use small-leaved plants for the boscai to lay their eggs on? I've found Elodea (Egeria densa) leaves to be too big for vulgaris and helveticus in the past.

Hi Caleb
I use a big water refrigerator that are normally used for marine aquariums. As you know their prices are too high. The guys that have marine aquariums normally have a big budged so as technology progress they want to replace the old refrigerators for the electronic new ones which are chillers and warmers at the same time which is much more convenient for their marine setups. So I am always in a quest of those marine enthusiast that sell their old refrigerators at a bargain prize. Moreover, the old ones are not electronic, they function with a wheel with the temperatures written on it. If you detached the wheel you will find a stopper that prevents the chiller to reach lower temperatures. If you get rid of that stopper and you put back the wheel you can reach temperatures down to 1 grade. So you can control all year around the temperatures without worries. Specially, in places like Barcelona where summer temperatures may rich 35-40 degrees and winter temperature may only drop to over 10 degrees for a few weeks.
The second point on elodea densa is quite interesting since Spanish t.helveticus used them normally to lay their eggs. I got mine hibernating and I will breed them by February so I will post some pictures for you. On the other hand, which aquatic plants do the British species prefer? As we can see even same species may vary a lot on their behaviour according to their origin. And t.helveticus alonsoi frequently use much bigger leaves and plants than the nominal specie. I have always used elodea densa for t.boscai without any problem but I am up to use new plants. So keep me inform.
Best wishes

Hi Yago,

I'd be interested to know more about T. h. alonsoi, I've heard very little about this subspecies.

I've used the smaller Elodeas, e.g. canadensis rather than Egeria densa, for T. vulgaris and helveticus in the past. I don't really know which plants they prefer in the wild, maybe that's worth investigating this spring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back