Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature question

H

hayley-jane

What happens to the axies if their water temp is constantly in the 70-80 F range?

What damage does it do?

J

joan

They get stressed, leaving them suseptible to fungal and bacterial infections.

Personally, I keep mine right around 70-75ish and have never had a problem. But their tank has never gotten up to 80.

(Message edited by Joan on July 29, 2005)

H

hayley-jane

Is 70-75 okay then?

Because I can't get mine any lower than 70 despite the 3 floating bottles of ice on the surface.

Without the ice bottles its usually 74.

R

rheann

Hey Joan, I also have problems with my Axolotls tank water keeping it cool for now because it has been 106 degrees or so here. My Axolotls have been in the fridge for a long time now because I am really worried about the temp. The tank never usually get above 75 degrees, so if you keep your Axolotls at this temp and haven't hda any problems, I am wondering the same with Hayley if it would be ok just to keep my Axies in that temp? Keeping the water cool will prove to be very difficult until I can invest some money in a water chiller.

C

cynthia

Hayley - add a fan to blow across the top of the water.

My AC has been having a hard time keep the house below 73 the past few weeks because the temperature here has been from 93 to 100+ every day.

I added a small fan to my axolotl tank and it lowered the temperature from 72 to 66.

J

joan

Cynthia's got the idea. But I haven't had any problems keeping them between 70 and 75ish. But don't let it go any hotter. My new place doesn't have any A/C, so I might have to start getting creative. Also, if it gets cooler at night, leave your windows open. Lately, in Michigan, it's been getting into the 50's at night, so I sleep with the windows open, and close them in the morning and turn the A/C back on.

Hayley, If you can keep it at 70 steadily, then I think they'll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!