Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrestrial Salamander Forest Vivarium

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Here is my vivarium for almost any fully terrestrial salamander. I have not decided what to put in it yet.

Questions/Comments/Advice appreciated. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 729

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Maybe you could put in some type of small lungless salamander, probably a few California slenders could do well in there

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of that, but California slender salamanders are really hard to feed, because they have such small mouths.

CaudataCam

Reaction score
Figured I could help you out since you recently helped me out with types of sals/newts I could look into.

Based off of Sith's reply of dart frogs, I decided I could give my say in this. It definitely could house a few darts depending on the type you would add to it. The main difference between darts and newts/sals is probably the temperature you keep them at. Darts tend to like 75F or higher generally speaking. So you would need to provide heat in that viv as well as some other slight changes.

Sith, yes darts do feed on springs but they should not be the only thing offered. There are a variety of other reasons as to why springs are actually added to vivs. I can explain if you'd like. Fruit flies are usually what you would feed darts. Fruit flies, springs, some isos, and the occasional pinhead cricket are what you generally would be able to feed darts.

Reactions: sde

CaudataCam

Reaction score
I feel like small dart frog feeders would work, I think I remember something about them liking springtails

Oops, I didn't see the word "feeders" at first. Lol that could be used to house feeders. Any of the ones I previously listed could work. Again, you may or may not need to change a few things about the viv for feeders as they are different in regards to care.

Hope you think of something for it!
Good luck, Cameron :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!