Terrestrial Sals for CA?

CaudataCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cameron
Hi everyone,

I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask this but I figured since I'm a beginner, I might as well post it here.

Okay, so I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for terrestrial salamanders or newts for beginners in California? I specify California because I know that Tiger Salamanders and axies (so unfair lol) are illegal to own here due to possible mixing with local species or something like that. If anyone has any potential suggestions, they would be more than welcome! I currently have dart frogs for a couple years and some alpine newts so I am a little experienced I think.

I would love to start a set up for some sort of terrestrial salamander or newt since the alpines are fully aquatic I'd like to try a terrestrial species. It does not have to be fully terrestrial but it would be preferred if it spent a good amount of time on land and maybe a little bit in water as well (semi-aquatic?). If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thank you, Cam

I think it's legal to collect with a fishing license to collect California slender salamanders and Arboreal salamanders, but not sure about Arboreal though

Thanks for the reply, Sith. Btw I like your name haha. Reminds me of some cool turtle Star Wars character.

I don't plan on getting a fishing license as I don't fish ever and I don't plan on fishing. Plus I'd rather buy a captive bred animal than a wild one. It's just a personal preference of mine.

So if you any captive bred ones I could buy legally that would be great.

Well, for that instance, you could look for fire salamanders (Salamandra sp) since they are mostly CB, and are terrestrial

I am from California too, so I can relate :D.

I had questions on finding good salamander species to keep too. I would suggest collecting Aneides lugubris, the Arboreal Salamander, or Ensatina eschscholtzii, the Ensatina salamander. Depending on where you live, it is probably easy enough for you to find these species. I would not suggest collecting Batrachoseps , or slender salamanders unless you are confident you have food small enough for them. You mentioned you keep dart frogs so maybe you can try this species out.

As for non-native species, try Salamandra salamandra, the Fire salamander. If you can keep this species cool enough they are simple to maintain.

Other species you could try are non-native Plethodontids, such as Slimy Salamanders (Plethodon glutinosus), Red-backed Salamanders (Plethodon cinereus), and Dusky Salamanders (Desmognathus). Note that some Plethodontids are not fully terrestrial, but live in and around streams.

I myself have two Desmognathus; they seem to prefer to stay on land and enter their water portion occasionally.

Care sheets for almost all the species listed above can be found on the Caudata Culture website; and care sheets for Ensatina and Aneides can be found in the link below.

Amphibian Information Centre

Sorry for the long essay read, but I hope you find the perfect species! :D

-Advyth

Personally, i don't recommend you collect any species unless you are a bit more experienced with Caudates, and even then there are ethical problems you would have to take into consideration.

As for CB animals, i agree with the previous suggestions :)

If you are not looking into collecting species, and would prefer Captive Bred ones, than look into Tylotriton species. Some can be kept terrestrially and are occasionally offered Captive-Bred, but not very often sadly.

Thanks guys! I will be looking at care and husbandry for all of those that were listed. I'm going to be mainly looking at the CB ones. Thanks for all the suggestions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back