Question: Thanks/New Baby Axolotls

Ellioty

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Long time lurker first time poster.

Firstly, thank you to everyone on the forum for posting experiences. To complete novices like myself the information has been invaluable.

My wife bought an axolotl for my son for his birthday in February this year. Unfortunately she received a lot misinformation from the pet shop she bought it from. We ended up with an uncycled tank which was too small. The axolotl ended up with slim coat issues due to ammonia levels, stopped eating and lost weight. Finally, it developed fungus on its gills.

Thankfully forums like this provide a lot of valuable help. I managed to sort the issues out and ended up with a thriving golden albino axolotl.

We weren’t alone in this misinformation, and after 3 months we ended up adopting a leucistic juvenile in need of some help that another family couldn’t maintain. Thankfully they are both good now and in good health and size. Unfortunately, the Golden is a male and the Leucistic a female!!
Gummy and Dim 1.jpg

Nature took its course and I have a small batch of babies – only 20 thankfully.

Again, the forum assisted with raising them.

We ended up with 9 Wild types and what appeared to be 11 golden. However, some golden turned a pink colour and one wild more golden with black aspects. I have attached pictures.

Kids love the odd golden coloured one and it now has a name – Cheezel. Was going to part with them all but it maybe this one will have to stay!!
Babies.jpg

Cheezel1.jpg
Cheezel2.jpg
Cheezel3.jpg

Any assistance with how colours have occurred or why “Cheezel” has turned out like this would be appreciated.

Wow, Cheezel is GORGEOUS! I don't really have any strong ideas on what could have caused this (beyond just the fact that axolotls have a lot of color variations, so weird things are bound to happen sometimes), but one thing that could explain a few things with your albinos in particular would be whether or not they have GFP. Have you checked for this at all yet?

Thank you for your reply.
I had to look up GFP. I am in Australia so apparently it won't be that as not available here.
In a small batch of 20 babies I wasn't expecting to have so many different colours. Crazy animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back