That's too big for you!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
I recently spent a week in the field with a Ph.D. candidate friend of mine, helping her do elastimer tagging and callback surveys on cricket frogs.

Cricket frogs are fairly uncommon in Michigan. And they're TINY! Adults range from 2-3cm, while juveniles can be as small as 6mm at emergence. They also have a mighty leap. Adults can leap up to 1 meter in a single bound, and often do a 'double leap', where they'll land, and turn, and jump again. They're practically impossible to catch.

Her sites have already been determined, so we drove to one, half an abandoned gravel pit (the other side is still active), next to a McMansion subdivision. The site was fairly shallow, due to our recent lack of rainfall, fairly heavy in Eurasian Milfoil and Purple Loosestrife (two invasive plants). There were a few spike rush, some willow, and a lot of muck.

I conducted some shoreline mapping, and caught some frogs along the way. Unlike big frogs, it's easiest to catch these little guys with a net. Along the way, we encountered a neonate garter snake (pencil size) attempting to eat a MUCH larger leopard frog (baseball size). The frog looked seriously annoyed with the 'string' attached to its butt. But anyone who's ever been bit by a garter knows that they just don't let go. So the frog lumbered around with the snake attached at the butt. I wish I had pictures.

Frog-wise, we caught 8 adults and 4 juveniles. These were elastimer tagged. This involves injecting a colored gel (blue, in this case) into either the right (for juvies) or left (for adult) thigh, where it can be seen through the skin. No one's sure quite the life span on cricket frogs (probably under 2 years), and this will aid us when we go to recapture the population.

All in all, I was bitten 4 times by deerflies, fell knee deep into muck twice (and once onto my butt), and caught 2 frogs. But it was a great time!

Sounds like great fun Kaysie, thanks for the report! Why we torture ourselves again & again for these creatures and feel good about it, is a question i have pondered about myself quite some times now ;)

Torture isn't quite the word. Maybe I'm self-destructive, but I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. Sure the deerfly bites burned and itched intensely for a couple days, but that's eased up (even though I'm sure they'll leave scars), and the 40+ mosquito bites I got the other day while chasing rattlesnakes still itch, I love nothing more than chasing beasties.

One of the ways I found to deal with deerfly is to wear a darkish wide brimmed hat. The hat can be treated with some deet for best effect. The deer flies tend to land on the highest darkest point and the hat keeps them trying high and thus ignoring the rest of my body and the deet keeps them from landing and walking down to discover you... otherwise you have to wave your arms now and then. During the height of deer fly season in the Pine Barrens I can remain immune to thier bites while in a literally cloud of deerflies.

Ed

What about the ticks?

I wear long pants... if you really want to keep the ticks (and chiggers off you (and I think chiggers are worse than ticks) tuck you pants into your socks and tape them there with duct tape. Then you can spray your upper legs with some deet to prevent the ticks/chiggers from climbing over your waist band. If you are going into really heavy brush (anything waist high or higher) then you should do the above but will have to spray yourself..

I tend to not be overly worried about ticks as I have lived with them for a really long time and just double check when I get inside and place my clothes in the washer right away. The tick needs to be on you for greater than 24 (some sources cite greater than 48 hours) before you start to run the risk of lyme's disease.

By the way Kaysie, I have never seen a small snake try to eat a big frog as usually the big frog eats the little snake...

Ed

sounded fun

reminded me of when I went out and did a bird survey with my cousin in wet lands

you would be walking for a little while, then all of a sudden you would sink in up to you knee/thigh/waist

it was fun though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back