The Fern Thread

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
I have been researching ferns for both indoor and outdoor use. Many are far too large for vivaria use, but I thought quite a few folks would find them useful for their outdoor enclosures and for reference.

The list i have compiled so far are all suitable for USDA Planting zones 4-8, with most being in the 5-7 zone.

I'm in zone 5A so I tend to plan around that. I find ferns are easier to propagate outdoors even for indoor use.

Here is the list so far. Most of These I am using now, or have used in the past both indoors and out.

Athyrium filix-femina
Athyrium niponicum pictum
Dennstaedtia punctilobata
Dryopteris erythrosora
Dryopteris marginalis
Matteuccia pensylvanica
Polystichum acrostichoides
Polystichum tsus-simense
Thelypteris decursive-pinnata

Anyone else have any to add? I am working to compile lists of plants that we use in the herpetoculture hobby. Any suggestions, or additions are welcome!

Excellent! That will be very useful for many!
Thanks
Never had much luck with terrarium plants, unlike my aquatic set-up. I think the main reason is that I have a culture of snails and slugs that breed all the time and feed my A. maculatum all year long, that with the addition of earthworms. The downside is : slugs and snails attack young plants, ferns included. So, I resorted to plant seedling trees for now (oak, raintree etc...) and they are doing great! I guess I will train them just like a bonsai....
I just try everything :D

this is interesting! I love ferns and would like to keep more of them. Where does one get these species? Pics would be, like, awesome ;)

What about the little tropical ones often sold in plant nurseries, like Addiantum and Pteris? I tried those once, but found that they dry up real fast unless you give them almost 100% humidity.

Maybe some day if I ever make a dart frog viv...

Athyrium filix-femina does well in my garden, but it grows to be very large when given good conditions, and I think it would dominate all but the largest outdoor enclosures.

The only tropical ferns I have worked with are Nephrolepsis species, and those are strictly as houseplants. They grow HUGE very fast and self propigate by aggressive runners.

As for suppliers, there are tons online. Josh's Frogs has quite a few ferns and fern like plants that do well in vivaria.

I have even found a few different temperate species at Wal-Mart (of all places). While I am unsure of the species, these are small ferns that have done very well in vivaria for me.

(I'm partial to ferns given my last name.)

Lecanopteris are an eye-catcher species and like moist environments not wet(roots will rot). They are rare enough to get as it is but every once in a while you might have a chance to work with this species. I think this would be an ideal candidate for terrestrial plants for macro size tanks as they do just great with hood lights..

I keep many Lecanopteris but this is my top notch favorite:

Lecanopteris mirabilis! :)

ji1is0.jpg

I might share some with others.. but ant ferns are tricky! I'm sure if you google ant ferns you will find TONS of very cool pictures!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back