The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Ok, i really like Salamandra and i really like this book, so when a very nice, friendly, german giant asked me to say a few words about his very nice book, i could hardly say no. Allow me to fetch a foulard and a pair of hipster glasses and go full pretentious reviewer on you:

It's no mean feat managing to produce a book that is packed with excellent information while simultaneously bombarding you with a miriad of gorgeous photographs, and this book does it in style. Providing a veritable education on all things Salamandra, this book explores every topic, from the origins of the genus in the dawn of Natural History, to the latest discoveries in the complicated phylogenetic relationships whithin it, from their biology, ecology, distribution and the challenges of their conservation to everything you could possibly need to know to succeed in their captive care and reproduction. It is a celebration of the genus Salamandra and its special place not only in the hearts and minds of those who admire their striking beauty, but also as a biologically fascinating, remarkably diverse and unique genus, for when Charles Darwin wrote the phrase “endless forms most beautiful”, in the back of his mind, he must have been thinking of the genus Salamandra (or at least, he bloody well should have).

Maybe you are someone who has just discovered the existence of these fascinating creatures and would like to learn more about them, a dedicated hobbyist looking for a definitive guide on their captive care and reproduction, or maybe you are just in love with these captivating amphibians and can't get enough of them. Either way, you are not going to find a better, more up to date, accessible and complete resource than this, this book is not just a detailed treatise of the entire genus and a treasure trove of captive-rearing knowledge but also a luxurious collection of high-quality pictures that pays respect to the extreme variability and intense, dazzling beauty of all of the various forms.

Fire salamanders and their close relatives have conquered the european and mediterranean land and its inhabitant's minds like no other amphibian, so it is proper that they should be given tribute and the author's of this book have let their admiration for these wonderful creatures shine through every page.

And now, because you have survived that (i warned you it was going to be pretentious, but this genus demands nothing less, it can't be helped), here are some sample pages.

The book is available in english or german, from: The Genus Salamandra

Attachments

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. With all the neglect and lack of information and true descriptions of the reptiles and amphibians that live in my country, I wouldn't be to surprised to find out a small population of S.infraimmaculata lived in the northwestern tree-covered mountains of Jordan

brigrahm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Briànna Graham
This looks fascinating! Totally buying this :D Thanks for sharing!!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
It's a great book, fantastic in many areas (species/subspecies accounts and photos for example), a little light in a few (for example, I think the breeding section misses out on some important details but dwells on others). It isn't cheap though!
Posted via Mobile Device

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl owner2020: I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget. +1