Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Right Newt For Me?

cro117

Reaction score
hi, so i plan on getting my first newt soon and would like some input as to what species to get. im still working on (haven't started yet) the enclosure, but it will be a 30 gallon with some land around the edges so i can make an attempt at terrestrial plants. so it would probably be anywhere from 5-8 gallons of water. i don't plan on using a chiller and room temp fluctuates from 70-73 winter and 78-79 summer. i'll probably have a lot more specific questions as i progress, but for now i was trying to narrow down the species.

i like marble newts, from my reading they can handle higher temps, but im worried they might be too large for the setup, and ive read they like large groups. alpine newts would be amazing, but also slightly large, and need a hibernation period? plus generally cooler water then my setup will be. so as of now, i think blue tailed fire bellies seem like they might be the best option as far as size and temperature tolerance. i like them well enough, but im not even sure if i'd be able to find any.

any input as to an ideal species for a small warm enclosure would be greatly appreciated. once i have that nailed down, i can start asking about types of soil, humidity, plants, etc.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
5-8 gallons is a small water area. It's not easy to engineer a true land/water setup with ample water volume. For one or two newts, it could work.

Alpine and blue-tail firebellies are both highly aquatic. The land area would be wasted on them, and it would be better to have more water, less land. Alpines need colder temps.

Marmoratus like a land/water setup like that, but you're right, it might be small for them. You would only be able to have one or two. And your temps are too high for them.

Have you considered a frog or toad? Something in the frog family might be a better fit for that setup.

cro117

Reaction score
id rather avoid something that i have to feed crickets. newts should be fairly easy to feed, even if i have to feed live foods, i have plenty of blue shrimp, black worms, and endlers.

i was planing on using a rigid 3d background half way up the tank for the land area, but maybe i can angle it so it uses up less of the water area, somewhat like a ledge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!