Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The start of a fungal infection

Naok

Reaction score
I asked an axolotl discord for advice last night as my axie seems to have the beginning of a fungus infection, but they weren’t terribly helpful. I’ve put a fan on my tank since last night (ordering an actual aquarium fan) and since got the water from 72 degrees to about 69. However I got no information for currently relieving my axolotl. No information on whether to do a treatment of any kind or how to go about it. If anyone could give me an idea it would be nice. She’s itching her gills with her back foot a bit this morning (just every now and then I see her do it), and she is still eating consistently. Any help is appreciated thank you.
Additional info:
-Axolotl is around half a year old, 7in
-Tank is fully cycled I checked the parameters last night all good
-Water ph is 7
-Two white cloud minnows as tank mates (yes I keep an eye on it the fish and axie are well fed and they leave each other alone with the exception of the third minnow that was promptly eaten)

Attachments

• 2966C46A-EB6F-4721-B6CB-099DF2CD61B7.jpeg
    2966C46A-EB6F-4721-B6CB-099DF2CD61B7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 2A4DB0C5-0615-4419-B517-CE4DCB83B6AA.jpeg
    2A4DB0C5-0615-4419-B517-CE4DCB83B6AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • BA3FF7C2-53E6-4836-9633-ADB06F654CF3.jpeg
    BA3FF7C2-53E6-4836-9633-ADB06F654CF3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • C9D5D242-94D2-4B0F-AAF0-5354B7A6D0C8.jpeg
    C9D5D242-94D2-4B0F-AAF0-5354B7A6D0C8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I asked an axolotl discord for advice last night as my axie seems to have the beginning of a fungus infection, but they weren’t terribly helpful. I’ve put a fan on my tank since last night (ordering an actual aquarium fan) and since got the water from 72 degrees to about 69. However I got no information for currently relieving my axolotl. No information on whether to do a treatment of any kind or how to go about it. If anyone could give me an idea it would be nice. She’s itching her gills with her back foot a bit this morning (just every now and then I see her do it), and she is still eating consistently. Any help is appreciated thank you.
Additional info:
-Axolotl is around half a year old, 7in
-Tank is fully cycled I checked the parameters last night all good
-Water ph is 7
-Two white cloud minnows as tank mates (yes I keep an eye on it the fish and axie are well fed and they leave each other alone with the exception of the third minnow that was promptly eaten)
If your water parameters are good, I suspect it was probably due to the temperature being too high. 69 is still a bit high and should ideally be at least a couple degrees cooler. Minor fungal infections will actually clear up on their own if your axolotl is otherwise healthy and the tank is stable. I would not recommend salt baths at this point, as it does not look like they really are necessary. I think a black tea bath would be plenty to help with healing. The natural tannins in black tea have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that will help sooth and heal minor infections.

Naok

Reaction score
If your water parameters are good, I suspect it was probably due to the temperature being too high. 69 is still a bit high and should ideally be at least a couple degrees cooler. Minor fungal infections will actually clear up on their own if your axolotl is otherwise healthy and the tank is stable. I would not recommend salt baths at this point, as it does not look like they really are necessary. I think a black tea bath would be plenty to help with healing. The natural tannins in black tea have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that will help sooth and heal minor infections.
Ok awesome thank you! I did a small water change adding water a few degrees colder, and also put some ice cubes in a plastic bag (I actually double bagged it in case the axolotl bit the bag) and left it to float in the tank. The tank is also under an ac vent so hopefully with all these factors it comes down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1