Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thinking of getting a 3rd Axolotl, but already have a Male and Female who have bred. Should I not?

deeveeance

Reaction score
As the title says, I've had my little Axolotl for a year now, and sometime in the summer, they bred, and the Coppertype laid eggs, several batches of ~4-6, and we ended up disposing of them, as it popped up on us.

Our plans were to add another Axolotl since we have a 40Gal breeder, but wondering if we should get a second female, male, or neither!

What would be the best course of action?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Honestly you should put a divider up to keep them separated.
They can breed every 4-6 weeks and lay 100-1000 eggs and if that starts happening it can stress your female so much she could potentially die.

I keep the sexes separate unless I am purposely breeding.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Honestly you should put a divider up to keep them separated.
They can breed every 4-6 weeks and lay 100-1000 eggs and if that starts happening it can stress your female so much she could potentially die.

I keep the sexes separate unless I am purposely breeding.

This is absolutely right, separate the male from female. When I had 4 adult axies I had a bachelor tank(40 breeder) and a separate tank(20 long) for my female. If you keep them together the female will never have a chance to properly recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1