Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

thinking of surrendering...

pickel!

Reaction score
hey everyone. i've had my axolotl, Pickel, for about 3 years now. i got him when i was really young, very depressed, and not nearly responsible enough to have him. he had a tank mate at first, i had bought two axolotls, the other being Pastel. Pastel died a month or two after we brought him home from unknown reasons. The reptile expo and the breeder i got them from all seemed sketchy, but i was so young i didn't know any better and i had waited 6 months to finally have my pets.

Pickel has been through so much because of my negligence. i'm ashamed to admit how bad how of a pet parent i've been, so much so that i'm tearing up extremely writing this. first was the issue of my cats. they terrorized him, likely near to death, because i couldn't get a job (was too young) and buy a lid for my tank and my family is far from wealthy. he has several cuts and scars all along his body from them. i've finally gotten a lid a year or two ago, and i thought he would start regenerating his tail, but he hasn't seem to gotten much better at all. i've been trying to feed him more to get him to gain weight and overall be healthier, i try so hard to keep the water clean and cool but my house is very badly insulated and my room gets insanely hot. my room is also so small that i physically can't move the tank away from the windows.

i'm at wits end. i feel horrible, like i'm torturing this poor creature. i have a 20 gallon long tank with an adjustable filter. there's very fine gravel substrate that i'm slowly siphoning out during water changes. recently, i remodeled his tank, adding an extra hiding spot, a background to keep it darker in the day, and some plastic plants. after i fill up the tank with the help of my boyfriend or family (i'm currently post surgery and am unable to do a water change by myself) and do a water test for everything, nitrates/nitrites, ammonia, pH, the whole lot, i'll post those results and likely ask for ways to fix the levels. i feed him night crawlers every 2-3 days.

i just want him to be as happy as possible, but for awhile now i've thought that perhaps i simply can't keep up with his needs. any and all advice or criticism is appreciated. i hope you all can understand my guilt and frustrations. i just want to strive to be a better parent. he deserves it.

here are pictures of him from today.

Attachments

• 20210428_153024.jpg
    20210428_153024.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 573
  • 20210428_153028.jpg
    20210428_153028.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20210428_153035.jpg
    20210428_153035.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 423
  • 20210428_153102.jpg
    20210428_153102.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 368

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
where about in the US are you? if you’re planning on surrendering (which i personally think would be best for everyone involved) would give up his aquarium as well? depending on where you are i’d happily take this little one off your hands. i’m experienced, have the necessary knowledge and equipment, and currently house three axies that i love to no end. id be more than willing to send you updates about his condition and improvement :)

edit: i’m a mere 16 so i can’t exactly drive across states ;( otherwise i’d pick him up from wherever

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pickel, I"m sure there are people close enough that might take your axie if you can give us an idea of your location. State/ nearest large city should do.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Pickel, I"m sure there are people close enough that might take your axie if you can give us an idea of your location. State/ nearest large city should do.
i really hope we live nearby enough for me to take him, i wanna rehab the little thing so badly ;(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1