This is weird? Are my T. gransulosa actually T. torosa?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi guys.

So I have what I have always thought to be T. granulosa, but according to this book I have ( maybe more than one ) granulosa are supposed to have their eyes in, so that they do not obscure the shape of the head. But my newt looks like it kind of does. I have only checked on one, my biggest female, but it is kind of confusing me. I think that I am too far north for it to be torosa, but I am not sure. Here is a range map for torosa:

ttorosamap2.jpg

I am in Washington, so I guess its kind of out of question, but it just kind of worries me. Is it possible there could be a separate population? I just want to provide the proper care you know?

Here is a picture of my newts, sorry, not a very good one, but its all I have right now.

Any thoughts? -Seth

Its hard to see their eyes in that photo, but i'd guess granulosa. If they were T. torosa, I think you would be struggling to get them to accept living aquatically as torosa only enter the ponds for a short period to breed. T. granulosa on the other hand, can be found naturally living 100% aquatic in some parts of their range.
Lets see a close up of their heads from above and we should be abe to work it out? :)

The ones here are only aquatic for the breeding season, maybe a bit after too. I will see if I can get a picture in soon. Tomorrow maybe. Nope, just got some, here they are!

The first two are of on female, and the second two of another female.

Attachments

• P1140085.jpg
    P1140085.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1140086.jpg
    P1140086.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 129
  • P1140087.jpg
    P1140087.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 154
  • P1140090.jpg
    P1140090.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 136
It is actually very difficult to tell them apart, an issue which has been discussed in the forum before. If you got them in WA they are certainly granulosa.

I guess it was kind of a stupid question, since Torosa only live in California, but you never know. I just wanted to be extra careful, cause I don't want to take care of them the wrong way.

Thanks guys. I should look into that thread, it would be an interesting read. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back