Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This is weird? Are my T. gransulosa actually T. torosa?

sde

Reaction score
Hi guys.

So I have what I have always thought to be T. granulosa, but according to this book I have ( maybe more than one ) granulosa are supposed to have their eyes in, so that they do not obscure the shape of the head. But my newt looks like it kind of does. I have only checked on one, my biggest female, but it is kind of confusing me. I think that I am too far north for it to be torosa, but I am not sure. Here is a range map for torosa:

ttorosamap2.jpg

I am in Washington, so I guess its kind of out of question, but it just kind of worries me. Is it possible there could be a separate population? I just want to provide the proper care you know?

Here is a picture of my newts, sorry, not a very good one, but its all I have right now.

Any thoughts? -Seth

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard to see their eyes in that photo, but i'd guess granulosa. If they were T. torosa, I think you would be struggling to get them to accept living aquatically as torosa only enter the ponds for a short period to breed. T. granulosa on the other hand, can be found naturally living 100% aquatic in some parts of their range.
Lets see a close up of their heads from above and we should be abe to work it out? :)

sde

Reaction score
The ones here are only aquatic for the breeding season, maybe a bit after too. I will see if I can get a picture in soon. Tomorrow maybe. Nope, just got some, here they are!

The first two are of on female, and the second two of another female.

Attachments

• P1140085.jpg
    P1140085.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1140086.jpg
    P1140086.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 129
  • P1140087.jpg
    P1140087.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 154
  • P1140090.jpg
    P1140090.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 136

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is actually very difficult to tell them apart, an issue which has been discussed in the forum before. If you got them in WA they are certainly granulosa.

sde

Reaction score
I guess it was kind of a stupid question, since Torosa only live in California, but you never know. I just wanted to be extra careful, cause I don't want to take care of them the wrong way.

Thanks guys. I should look into that thread, it would be an interesting read. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1