Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Three Lined Salamander Inquiry

brettawelch

Reaction score
Hey there. I welcomed a three lined salamander home yesterday. The employee at the pet store mentioned that he would do fine in a tank with some red efts I also have. I would enjoy them sharing that tank as it is rather large (20 gal) and offers a great deal of hiding space. Yet, I am apprehensive as I know many speak against allowing different genus (plural?) to live together. Any thoughts?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Given that 3-lineds prefer a more aquatic, stream-side habitat, versus the dry upland habitat preferred by efts, I would try setting it up in its own tank.

Neither species is aggressive, and they might do fine together, but you'd be doing so at risk of disease transmission (are your efts CB?).

FYI: plural of genus is 'genera'.

TristanClark

Reaction score
I wouldn't keep them with the efts, give it the 20 gallon long with alot of rocks and crevices to get under. you might want to stack up gravel on one end to make a land area and put bark hides on top of it , from what I have saw this species is mostly aquatic and preferes water over land but if you can provide a good land area then that doesnt hurt.

brettawelch

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The one exotic pet store in my area has less than knowledgeable. They've claimed that my paddle-tail would prefer 75-80 degree F. False. Bad hobby for Las Vegas haha

Thanks again.

brettawelch

Reaction score
Also, I am interested in outfitting his tank with some wood. What should I be wary of in that department? Obviously treated wood would be bad. With that, where might I go to find something suitable?

Thanks

redtxn

Reaction score
I've only seen one three-lined in the past year and it had a tail longer than its body. Interesting species. I always quarantine new arrivals in their own tank and usually end up setting up a new enclosure for them during their isolation period. I'm not one for mixing species, but mainly just like the excuse for having another landscape to play around with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1