Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander diet question

mmbd73

Reaction score
Hey all! I might be interested in getting a tiger salamander in the future but am having trouble finding solid information on them. To my understanding, they can eat crickets and pinkie mice (but not too many to avoid obesity) and worms. I currently have axolotls and feed them solely on nightcrawlers. Am I able to feed a tiger salamander a diet consisting of only nightcrawlers or is this not an adequate diet for them?

auntiejude

Reaction score
We feed our tigers worms, crickets, waxworms, mealworms. We also have one that was raised by a snake breeder and fed pinkies - he came to us very fat and it has taken well over a year to slim him down to a healthy 'plump' size, and he still won't eat earthworms.

ellenc

Reaction score
I use mainly crickets and waxworms. Mine rarely take earthworms. They sometimes go off one food and will only eat the other for a time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!