Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander hiding underground for days on end, still wondering 7/6/20

Capn Koo1 Aid

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my Tiger Salamander in a 20 gallon long bioactive planted tank for over a year now. He's always done really well, burrowing underground most of the day but coming out from a few different spots throughout the day to beg for food. There usually is never a day I don't see him.

Recently I moved halfway across the country, and he made the trip too. While his tanked was towed I kept him in a transport box with substrate so I could keep him from bouncing around and keep him temperature controlled. He only had to be outside of the tank for two days, I could tell he didn't like it, but he was doing fine. Once we moved him back in the tank I saw him for two days and fed him once, but that was a week and a half ago. Since then he has not come up from the substrate, and I haven't seen or heard anything from him. I really don't want to bug him as it's a new place, but in terms of tank temperature, water, lighting etc nothing has changed due to the move.

Should I dig him up to check on him, or give him more time to become comfortable down there? I'm really nervous and just seeing him would at least let me know he's ok.

Last edited:

Herpin Man

Reaction score
If it would make you feel better, go ahead. It will probably just burrow in again afterwards. Make sure that it's cool and moist enough.

Dart frog guy

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my Tiger Salamander in a 20 gallon long bioactive planted tank for over a year now. He's always done really well, burrowing underground most of the day but coming out from a few different spots throughout the day to beg for food. There usually is never a day I don't see him.

Recently I moved halfway across the country, and he made the trip too. While his tanked was towed I kept him in a transport box with substrate so I could keep him from bouncing around and keep him temperature controlled. He only had to be outside of the tank for two days, I could tell he didn't like it, but he was doing fine. Once we moved him back in the tank I saw him for two days and fed him once, but that was a week and a half ago. Since then he has not come up from the substrate, and I haven't seen or heard anything from him. I really don't want to bug him as it's a new place, but in terms of tank temperature, water, lighting etc nothing has changed due to the move.

Should I dig him up to check on him, or give him more time to become comfortable down there? I'm really nervous and just seeing him would at least let me know he's ok.
Mine did something simple lar when I moved, she didn’t eat for few days, but was back to normal after a week? Was your temporary home dry?

Capn Koo1 Aid

Reaction score
Mine did something simple lar when I moved, she didn’t eat for few days, but was back to normal after a week? Was your temporary home dry?

His temporary home was only for 2 days, and I misted it twice both days to be extra cautious. Both my other salamanders reacted fine to the move, but I still haven't seen my Tiger since :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1