Tiger Salamander Ready For Land?

KrabzAga

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
KrabzAga
Hi, I have this newly morphed tiger salamander and I've been wondering if it is ready for its terrestrial life. I have put it on a terrestrial enclosure with coconut fiber but it seems to not like it as it was running around and trying to climb out the tank. It has also climbed onto the rocks outside of water before.

Attachments

• sal1.jpg
    sal1.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 172
  • sal2.jpg
    sal2.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 103
  • sal3.jpg
    sal3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Hi, you may encounter 2 types of problems :

- It's difficult to be sure your morph is ready right now for fully terrestrial life. The fact that it has no more gills doesn't mean it is fully metamorphosed. The eyelids and the skin must complete their transformation before being ready for terrestrial life. The best way to know if the animal is ready is allowing it to choose when to leave the water : put it in a little tank or tub (with a lid !!!) with shallow water. Put something under one side of the tank to create a slope. Then, in the "dry" part, put a pile of java moss or pieces of bark). When the animal decides itself to leave the water, it's time for terrestrial life.

- Perhaps it doesn't like the terrestrial substrate you propose. Too dry ? Too wet ? Lack of hides ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back