Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander Subspecies

D

drew

I was wondering if any could help identify these subspecies of tiger salamanders. I belive the second is a gray tiger salamander, and the top an eastern? The last picture I'm unsure of. Thanks for your assistance.
5258.jpg

5259.jpg

5260.jpg

N

nate

They could be tigrinum, mavortium, diaboli, you name it...

There is simply no way to know for sure which tiger subspecies you have without locality data. When extensive genetic sampling was undertaken (Irschik and Schaeffer, 1997)(Schaeffer and McKnight, 1997) it was found that many populations of subspecies did not carry the "typical color pattern" of their subspecies yet still were genetically identifiable as that subspecies. So basically, you can't tell.

Bummer eh?

C

cataldo

Well... They are 100% Ambystoma tigrinum or mavortium.. LOL

D

drew

Yeah, at times it seems as if all the subspecies look extremely similiar. Thanks though.

B

brice

I agree with Drew, the pattern on the posterior side of the middle salamander is consistent with the description given at http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/atigrin.htm for the Gray Tiger Salamander. These salamanders are indigenous around here (North Dakota). The top does seem to me that it indeed is an Eastern Tiger Salamander by the outward appreance, but again, there is no way to of its subspecies positively, but it does look like your approximations are very educated! I admire your salamander erudition!
5268.jpg
<<It sure isn't one of these babies though!
wink.gif

Keep herpin'!

D

drew

As Brice and Nate said, I guess outward apperance can be misleading. I have seen pics of easterns that have yellow bars/bands and some with more of a drab olive or alomost brown pattern. I guess next time I'll need locality information.

R

russ

Hey Tom, did you ever get my e-mail about the long-toed?

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1