Tiger Salamander VERY sick...please help

BreezyNCC

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two tiger salamanders in a 20L tank. They are rescued research animals who are documented full sibs. I was gone for 3 weeks and had people come care for them. Friday they were both fine, but when I came home Sunday at noon, one of them had become stuck between a wooden accessory and the tank wall. The plank is usually located centrally in the tank to allow them to climb, but was moved by the person who came to feed them. Anyway, the salamander was very dry and covered in a greenish fungus. At first I thought he was dead. I placed him on papertowels soaked in a saline solution and gently dabbed him with sterile gauze and saline. He moved a toe and I decided to try and save him. He is now able to swim and climb, although he seems very awkward. He appears to be healing and the fungus going away. I completely changed tanks, and have a double filtration system for the water. The water is dechlorinated and treated with aquatize for amphibians. I noticed today that the salamanders eyes appear to be covered with a milky white pus and I am suspecting a bacterial infection. What do you think? What can I do? This little guy is willing to fight for survival, so I am not going to give up on him now.

Are these larval or adult tiger salamanders?

I would suggest taking it to an experienced herp vet.

We had an appointment with a vet today, but Sally passed away this morning. It was a sad moment and I think the sibling actually misses her. She was 5 years old.

I'm sorry to hear about Sally :( Did you manage to find out if it was an infection and what it was caused by?

We had an appointment with a vet today, but Sally passed away this morning. It was a sad moment and I think the sibling actually misses her. She was 5 years old.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back