Tips on dicing earthworms/night crawlers

merk199

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
rick
Ok I have read the CC article on cutting worms and do practice the method illustrated. My question does anyone have any tips on how to make super small pieces without smashish it or turning it into paste. My c. cyranus love earth worms but I struggle to get pieces consistantly small enough for them to be able to take them. If I go with just blackworms, and blood worms till they are larger they will eat me out of house and home.

I am considering since they will eat frozen blood worm to create my own cynops frozen food. Blended earthworm, shrimp, spirulina flakes, etc....Then shaving it down with a zester to make frozen flake.

On a side note out of all my newts the cyranus are the most aggressive eaters I have. They are even more aggressive than my T marms :eek:. Who would have thought that possible.

I sit my worms on a slab of glass then use a razor blade to carefully cut the pieces to size. I find it is easier to cut the worm into chunks at first and then cut each chunk into smaller and smaller pieces until they are just right.

I also never thought that C.cyanurus were so in time to eat! :D
I'm not sure if I understand your question, however my C.cyanurus accept pieces of earthworm to 1cm well. I think there is no need to make such a mixture! Already now they are juveniles or adults? If you are young because there may already doings such suits pope.
I have helped! :yin-yang:

Greatwtehunter, has a good plan! I just use a good pair of scissors! Gavin

I would also like to include... since it is winter. I only have a limited number of "canadian earthworms" So , just recently. I only use the lower half of the worm and let the worm rejuvenate. A renewable resource if you will. I'm feeding Axolotls right now and waking up my Eastern bow turtles in the New Year! This will take a toll on my worm population.Gavin

Last edited by a moderator:
I put them in a film canister and with a small sharp scissors just snip snip snip snip snip snip until they are minced.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back