Tips on getting food to newts with fish in tank?

mgftp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I am keeping some eastern newts with a half dozen minnows. The newts seem to be doing great are taking well to frozen blood worms and some even pellets when placed in the water. My concern is how much I am having to feed the fish in order for the newts to get their mouths on just a small amount. Are there any tips or pointers for getting the food to the newts with fish in the tank? The fish seem to grab up 90%+ of everything before the newts have a chance.

Thanks.

By removing the fish.
Or hand feeding chopped worm I guess, but I like a combination of the two better, no fish and feeding a staple of worm, all the fish are doing is creating an excess amount of waste and stealing food, and frozen bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete and aren't adequate for the main part of a diet.

Six minnows and newts feels overcrowded. What size is your aquarium?

By removing the fish.
Or hand feeding chopped worm I guess, but I like a combination of the two better, no fish and feeding a staple of worm, all the fish are doing is creating an excess amount of waste and stealing food, and frozen bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete and aren't adequate for the main part of a diet.

So I guess one or the other has to go :(

Six minnows and newts feels overcrowded. What size is your aquarium?

60 gal.

Why not keep a male and female guppy separate and add fry occasionally? The newts will attempt an ambush, and the dwarfed size of the fry would be far less competitive for the food. If the fry were attempting to steal the food it would only make it easier for the newts to consume the fry. As the guppies grow too large to be consumed, remove them. Repeat. I would add no more than 5 or 6 fry at a time. Also, don't feed the fry their own food. This will corrupt water quality very quickly. Feed only food items targeted for the newts. How many newts occupy your 60 gal?

JBear

Why not keep a male and female guppy separate and add fry occasionally? The newts will attempt an ambush, and the dwarfed size of the fry would be far less competitive for the food. If the fry were attempting to steal the food it would only make it easier for the newts to consume the fry. As the guppies grow too large to be consumed, remove them. Repeat. I would add no more than 5 or 6 fry at a time. Also, don't feed the fry their own food. This will corrupt water quality very quickly. Feed only food items targeted for the newts. How many newts occupy your 60 gal?

JBear

That's a good idea for feeding the the newts. However the tank is something I'd like to keep to species of the northeast. I guess from what you guys are saying I need to get the newts out of there. I never really thought the fish would dominate them so much at feeding time. Besides that they seem to be doing great and are a real pleasure to watch, but I know it's not good for the water quality to keep feeding so much as to ensure the newts get some. Oh, and there are 6 newts, currently 4 minnows that are an inch each.

Adding to my last comments, you certainly could afford a few more fry in a tank that size, however, I say to keep it at a minimum because they grow quite quickly and you don't want to oversaturate the system with excess waste.

Also, my newts have always greedily taken flightless fruit flies off the water's surface with vigor an enthusiasm. The fry will not be able to consume them and they are easily netted out and disposed of if the newts have had their fill.

All my best

JBear

...the tank is something I'd like to keep to species of the northeast...there are 6 newts, currently 4 minnows...

Ever considered adding a partition? It can be easily accomplished and will allow you the pleasure of the NE biotope while keeping the minnows separated from the newts...

Some thoughts...

JBear

Ideally you're going to want as much water volume as possible with a floating land mass and lots of live plants.
I dont see fry being a great idea either, they're still contributing to the ammonia, and the newts are usually unlikely to eat them, they aren't adapted to catching fish, and newts will often seek out fishes bodies of water to live in, there are some newts, such as paddle tail and warty newts, that will chase down fish.
If what you're getting at is a divider for the tank, it would have to be siliconed in so that the water doesn't mix, and filtration would have to be given to each side, assuming you use some sort of filtration. And this would require you to empty and dry out the tank while having the inhabitants somewhere else for a couple days.
And if you decide to move out the newts, I would get at least a 20 gallon long tank with lots of plants and a sponge filter, but the bigger the tank the better. But whatever you decide to do, do not release the newts into the wild, they more than likely dont know how to fend for theirselves, it could release foreign pathogens to the wild, and it is illegal in many places.

Sorry to ramble on... At the risk of seeming "preachy", are these WC newts? If so I have to strongly advise against rerelease. They will have adopted pathogens than can devastate a local ecosystem. You will be doing a great service to your local ecology by offering them for trade, giveaway, or sale to fellow enthusiasts. Or, simply, providing a separate tank to house them in. I hope you are able to find a balance that benefits the newts, and what you are looking to achieve with your 60 gal...

JBear

Ideally you're going to want as much water volume as possible with a floating land mass and lots of live plants.
I dont see fry being a great idea either

I suggested the fry as a form of compromise.

the newts are usually unlikely to eat them, they aren't adapted to catching fish, and newts will often seek out fish[l]es bodies of water to live in

This is not necessarily true with the species kept in this scenario(N. viridescens viridescens). All newts are opportunistic feeders(in regards to not actively hunting fish) I will concede that many ssp of Notophthalmus are in fact quite different than N. viridescens viridescens in regards to how aquatic they are in nature and the bodies of water they occupy... The Eastern Newts I grew up catching shared a mountain lake with Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Largemouth Bass, Catfish, and numerous forms of small fish like Bluegills, Sunfish, etc.

there are some newts, such as paddle tail and warty newts, that will chase down fish.
Agree entirely, most newts will never actively pursue fish.

If what you're getting at is a divider for the tank, it would have to be siliconed in so that the water doesn't mix, and filtration would have to be given to each side, assuming you use some sort of filtration.
I am a firm believer in live aquatic plants providing the vast majority of filtration.

And if you decide to move out the newts, I would get at least a 20 gallon long tank with lots of plants and a sponge filter, but the bigger the tank the better. But whatever you decide to do, do not release the newts into the wild, they more than likely dont know how to fend for theirselves, it could release foreign pathogens to the wild, and it is illegal in many places.
Couldn't agree more!

Thank you for your comments, I truly agree with the vast majority of your thoughts and perspectives. All my respect ;)

JBear

Sorry to ramble on... At the risk of seeming "preachy", are these WC newts? If so I have to strongly advise against rerelease. They will have adopted pathogens than can devastate a local ecosystem. You will be doing a great service to your local ecology by offering them for trade, giveaway, or sale to fellow enthusiasts. Or, simply, providing a separate tank to house them in. I hope you are able to find a balance that benefits the newts, and what you are looking to achieve with your 60 gal...

JBear

Eastern newts are always WC. Just like Chinese fire-bellied newts

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the time you have taken to post. I see these things all over in streams, lakes, and ponds coexisting with fish in close proximity. They are just fine together in my tank, providing a source of food the fish don't gobble up before the newts can get it is the major problem. Unfortunately m vision just isn't working out. I'll have to get a second tank to house them in or find a friend who can house them in a tank alone.

Eastern newts are always WC. Just like Chinese fire-bellied newts

Does that suggest I gave poor advice in regards to releasing them into the local habitat? Sometimes newts are purchased and people assume since they are endemic that it should be fine. I was simply trying to politely dissuade the OP from making a bad decision. I don't understand...

JBear

Now, even if he caught them, they can't be released. They could introduce foreign pathogens, and diseases to the native population. Especially since they were in close proximity to fish

I think the thread is being hijacked, my apologies to the OP. If you have concerns on my advice, please PM me. State laws and accepted release change from state to state. That is not to say I agree with the laws.

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back