Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tips to secure tank (earthquake)

LunaCarlos

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and we are very prone to large earthquakes. I'm terrified about what might happen to my axolotls in the next big earthquake and wanted to know what I can do to secure my tank. I live in a rental property, so I can't go drilling holes in my walls.
Also, I usually fill my tank with tap water as it is chlorine free, but when we have large earthquakes the city adds chlorine to our water to kill germs and I am wondering how I would go about doing water changes after an earthquake, as the chlorine can remain in the water for several months. Added is a picture of my tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• BeautyPlus_20170821143346_save.jpg
    BeautyPlus_20170821143346_save.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if I were that worried I would keep it on the ground instead of the table. Maybe get a Rubbermaid type of plastic tank and lid to help keep things inside if it shakes, even if it 's a screen type lid. Finally there are chemicals we put in the water that has chlorine in it that neutralizes the chlorine. In the US an example is "Prime."

LunaCarlos

Reaction score
Well, if I were that worried I would keep it on the ground instead of the table. Maybe get a Rubbermaid type of plastic tank and lid to help keep things inside if it shakes, even if it 's a screen type lid. Finally there are chemicals we put in the water that has chlorine in it that neutralizes the chlorine. In the US an example is "Prime."

Thanks for your reply :) I will look into Rubbermaid. The tank is poorly designed in the first place, with glass lids. I will also look into buying some chemicals to neutralise the chlorine. Do you think putting some clear packing tape around the base of the tank could prevent cracks if there was to be an earthquake? Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1