Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too Much? *pic inside*

H

hayley-jane

Hi,

Since Elsa got ill I've spoilt her with a load of new things.

Is there too much in the tank now?

39885.jpg

Hayley

H

hayley-jane

whoo hoo - thanks guys
happy.gif

Yeah the water has almost completely cleared now - have to wait another 4 days to put her in though cause of the cycling.

Can't wait to see what she thinks of it!

Hayley

D

dev

hehe is that hayleys picture in the frame above the tank? Nice tank and setup.

A

anne-marie

Looks like a nice new home for Elsa.

Just a query- your filter. I have an internal filter and the manufacturer recommends the water cover the unit completely, I don't know if that's the same for yours but I thought I'd check.
happy.gif

(Mine has a U-shape elbow to elevate the spray bar above the water level so that water flow is not a problem)

H

hayley-jane

Hi,

Mine is a fluval, I was told to put it under water too, but I saw a picture of someone's massive set-up on here recently and they had the same filter and had it set up as mine is now.

Its been running continously for a week now and so far no probs?

justin

Reaction score
My pump is also supposed to be completely submerged. They are designed to run underwater to help cool the pump and motor. Could shorten the life of the pump. I have a bend as mentioned by Anne Marie.
I have a similar tank setup, but I have my water level almost to the top. I figure they have more 'room' for swimming around. This also keeps the pump totally underwater.
Looks good.

R

rheann

Haley, is that grape vine in the tank? I heard that it can change the water quality, but knowing my luck I heard wrong. If it's not grape vine, then I wouldn't worry ^_^

N

naomi

Hey new member here
happy.gif
I am currently working on getting a tank and then a couple of axolotls lol, so expect a few dumb questions to pop up from me
happy.gif
anyway my first one is Pebbles or Sand??? I would love to know what you all think and the pro's and cons of them both.
Cheers.

R

rheann

Sand, don't go with pebbles. the Axolotls will eat them and then get the pebbles stuck inside of them, and either throw them up after a while, or digest them, or maybe get really sick. Sand is really good. sand is perfect.

N

naomi

Ok, I don't know why I posted it in here oooops sorry guys it's late here (that's my excuse).

J

jopet

Oh and by the way Hayley your tank looks great!!
biggrin.gif
Sorry for hijacking your thread

H

hayley-jane

Rheann - Nope, it's not a grape vine. The long thing at the back is the extension tube to my filter which is currently just above the water level. Might lower it back into the water now though cause Justin just mentioned that it may reduce the filter's life.

Don't worry Jopet!
happy.gif

Justin - I dunno about the water level, Ive heard different things about what level is healthiest - I'll go post a thread on it now...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1