Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transporting and Provincial Laws

Axolotl52

Reaction score
Currently moving from Ontario to Nova Scotia and I’ve ran into a few problems. Here in Ontario Axolotls are legal to own but in Nova Scotia iv read that a permit is required to house any sort of axolotl, I haven’t been able to find too much information regarding said permit and I’m not too sure who to call to find out. My next problem is transporting, the drive out is 17 hours by car including 1 stop along the way. Pulling a uhaul trailer could turn that to 18-19 hours with 2 stops for rest at hotels along the way. What would be the best way about getting my axolotl out there? Could it be possible to tub her in a cooler of sorts? Would it be better to use clean treated water or established water from the tank or would it be best to ship her out and hope for the best?

SirGeraldLancelotl

Reaction score
I would transport her in a small cooler with a thermometer and take enough dechlorinated water from your current home to do 100% water changes every day you’re travelling, rather than doing water changes with water from the hotels. I’d also take a second cooler filled with frozen water bottles to keep her cool. I’d also tie or tape the water bottles inside her cooler so they don’t bounce into her while you drive.

In regards to the permit, I would try locating an axolotl vet in your new city, a vet would know at least who to contact to get a permit. If not, pet licenses for dogs can be obtained from the city, maybe axolotl permits would be issued from the same office.

Good luck with your move!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!