Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

transporting pet axies in Australia...

Arwen

Reaction score
Hi!
I am moving to Tasmania from Victoria next year and I would dearly love to be able to take my pet axolotls with me. I was wondering if this is at all possible? Does anyone know of a way I would be able to do it, and any tips on making such a journey easier on the animals?
Obviously I will need to contact the proper authorities and aquire the necessary permits - any information on this would be greatly appreciated also.
Thanks in advance, Katy, Arwen and Pheonix. :eek:

Saspotato

Reaction score
I am not sure you are allowed to take axies into Tassie... just what I have heard. Apparently they cause problems when they get in the wild. I think they are only banned in Tasmania as the climate is more favourable to axolotls - in other states they don't last long in the wild.

However, if you still plan to take them, I am curious - plane or boat? Boat would probably be easier as you can keep them on you and make sure they are ok. Maybe talk to an aquarium about a way of transportation. My friend brought down her fish from Sydney (by plane) and she got special containers for them that had been heavily oxygenated or something like that. They survived no worries. With plane trip I doubt you will be able to bring them as you will need to declare them and Tasmania doesn't allow them.

Edit: Ok I found this http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/ifs/fisherymanagement/pestfish/prohibited-activities.

"Aquarium pets causing the greatest risk in Tasmania are those with cold water temperature tolerances or those carrying disease and parasites. Therefore regulation is by temperature and health status. Prohibited imports include all coldwater fish species and certain species of temperate water fish. Also prohibited are axolotls, turtles and freshwater crayfish. Fines of up to $10,000 can apply to illegal imports."

Sorry it isn't looking good for you being able to transport your axolotls. :( It's a shame really, as the climate is good for them there and I doubt many people release them. Few bad people spoil it for others I think. Hopefully you can apply to bring them in. Good luck!

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt axolotls would survive in the wild on Tasmania. It's more likely due to some other introduction wreaking havoc and they don't want to risk another problem (you know, usual Australian knee-jerk reaction to animals, no offense). If only the axolotl were another cane toad - then they wouldn't be on the brink of extinction in the wild.

As for the original question, they transport rather well, even in sloshing buckets of water. Just make sure the temperature is within comfortable bounds and doesn't fluctuate too much.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read that page. Tasmania may be cooler than the mainland but I wouldn't be surprised if the summer temperatures would wipe out all of the axolotls. This seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to some sort of "predatory" fish being introduced there in the past. Consider yourself lucky they haven't banned fish and chips. Though maybe a cod might come back to life and terrorise the water ways there. Bless their hearts.

The sad thing about those Australian laws is that they are flouted all the time. There are several newt keepers in Aus, I recall having some communication about 10 years ago with one who was an ex-pat Brits. I honestly can't remember his name. Last I heard there have been various Triturus species kept and bred in Aus for decades and they haven't raped and pillaged their way across the country. Not everything is a cane toad...

Having said that, I wish to make it clear that I have nothing to do with people keeping/importing/whatever illegally in Australia and I don't approve of it at all - the law might be ignorant in its scope but it's still the law. Advance Australia Fair!

Last edited:

Saspotato

Reaction score
I guess it is a case of better to be safe than sorry with those laws... Australia has had some problems in other areas (horse flu this year!) with quarantine and introduced animals so I can see the arguments on that side of things... banning axolotls seems a bit overboard however (especially as there aren't any restrictions on the mainland).

Actually, I think temperature would not be a huge worry for axolotls in the wild there as the summer temperature doesn't get above the low 20Cs very often, especially around the lakes in Central Tasmania... which is why I tend to travel there in summer, I hate the heat :)

From that article the main concern seemed to be disease though so perhaps you might be allowed to apply to bring your axolotls in Arwen? You may have to put them through quarantine first though.

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are more than just cane toads that have been introduced into our country to rape and pillage the native wildlife; eg: rabbits, foxes, sea stars, mussells and numerous plant species, to name just a few. Laws have to be put in place for various reasons.

Cheers
Sharon

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. The laws also need to work though and that's the problem.

Arwen

Reaction score
ok so i just rang a conservation society in tas and they said that axolotls are strictly, no way around it, prohibited from being brought into tas. :( that sucks! so my little babies will just have to survive at a friends or family members house without me for a year...
thanks for everyones comments and help!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!