Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transporting relatively new spotted salamander

dmddorian

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just got a new salamander about a week ago, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I have to transport him 40 minutes away from where I currently live. I don’t want to keep him in his 30 gallon tank during the car ride as I don’t want something to injure him, so I was thinking of putting him in a small plastic container with some moss and an earthworm for the car ride. I would also put this container in a paper bag so he is in the dark. My question is would putting him in this container stress him out more than he already is (I only got him a week ago and he hides all day so I’m thinking he’s stressed from his new habitat)? Is this a good idea or do you guys have any other suggestions? Thank you!

Reaction score
I would say that transporting him to your new home wouldn't hurt him with the little container moss etc. But if you say that he is already stressed with his new tank I would not risk it. So if you can wait untill your sally isn't stressed for a week or at least something close to that I would say that he would be fine.

I hope that this helps forming your decision.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1