Tree frogs keep dying

Cecilia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello guys i have a terrarium that is pretty large that houses 3 red eyed tree frogs....2 of them has died.....one of them did show symptoms but this one still looked fairly healthy even when it was a dead body.;....he had no discoloration, didnt lose weight, wasnt bloated, had nhormal sleeping patterns, and was eating the night before last......now there is only 1 red eye left and i dont want to lose him too.l..but what the heck could it be, my tank is immaculate.....runs at about 26-27 degrees......and has 2 water dishes so there is no competition for soaking time.....can anyone help me????

I have had them for 6 months...they were fully grown when i got them so who knows maybe age is a factor..I got them from homes alive our local pet store....and they are captive bred

Have you introduced any new animals into the house lately?

I haven't...with the exception of a cat...he was checked and clean....no diseases or parasites

What symptoms did the first to die show?

C

No change in decoration....but i used to have a waterfall but took it out and replaced it with a tupperware container for temporary use....we all know waterfalls aren't the easiest to clean so until they stopped falling ill I changed so I could clean easier....the first frog to die was in mid shed....he stopped eating...and was dehydrated regardless of how much he was in the water...

Lol yes I use prime...I changed substrate to a different brand this seems to have helped

I have had them for 6 months...they were fully grown when i got them so who knows maybe age is a factor..I got them from homes alive our local pet store....and they are captive bred
Given your source and other unmentioned background information, it's quite likely the animals were WC. I am assuming you are in southern Alberta, and there IS a breeder in the area. However, your source does buy from wholesalers who usually have WC red-eyes. In addition, most red-eyes are imported, and since they are now CITES animals, only the WC ones can be imported because the CB ones have no documentation available for re-export.

Unfortunately, none of that has a whole lot of influence on determining cause of death at this point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back