Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus karelinii breeding/courtship

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
So I have a pair of Triturus karelinii. My female is gravid and my male is already in breeding dress and has been attempting to court the female. Tail fanning has been occurring for almost a week now, however the female keeps ignoring him. She even stays towards the surface among the plants and won't bother to come down unless she's going to eat. So I guess my question is, how long does courtship occur and what does it take for courtship to be successful?

Rupert

Reaction score
Erm... not in the mood?:wacko:

Maybe she already picked up a spermatophore while you weren't looking?

otolith

Reaction score
Courtship with Triturus can last for months and will often happen at night. I would not be concerned as the females generally take longer than the males to come into condition. In my experience I'll see courtship off and on throughout the entire cooling period and then usually see eggs when the water warms a few degrees up to 60-65F. Last year my marm group laid 600 or so eggs. I only saw the male display a handful of times and I never saw the females look interested so do not despair quite yet. Best of luck with your Karelinii.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1