Triturus marmoratus

terrytherat

Reaction score
Country
England
I purchased a group of 8 young marmoratus in July of this year, they were quite skinny when i got them and I lost 2 leaving me with 6.
They were about 2 inches long when I got them and now I have got them from 4 to 4.5 inches long looking very healthy and feeding really well.
It looks like I have 1 male and 5 females so I'm very pleased with the ratio of sexes. I have noticed that the male is now showing the white stripe on his tail.
My question is should I keep them indoors and skip they're hibernation so they can grow on some more or should I hibernate them and give them a try at breeding them in the spring.
I'm thinking that they are too young but with the male showing the white stripe on his tail is making me think that he is becoming sexually mature.
Please let me know your thoughts guys

I would keep them indoors for the winter. They will probably be too young to breed next year but I've bred Marbled Newts several times after keeping them indoors with no hibernation or cold period.

Cheers
Damian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back