Tropical Sextet - is it all safe?

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
I went to buy frozen blood worms today but the shop didn't have any so I got "Monkfield Nutrition - Tropical Sextet" instead.
It contains white, black and red mosquito larvae (red ones are blood worms I suppose and white ones glass worms...?)
Then there's daphnia, mysis and artemia. They are in separate cubes. Are all these things safe to feed to aquatic newts?

Thanks for your advice!

(I did a quick search and would say these things are probably good but I haven't used them before and want to be 100% sure.)

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
The only concern would be the Mysis and the Artemia. As salt water species, if used abundantly they can be a problem because of their contents of salts and various elements. Used sparangly they should be ok. The other stuff is all good, although some animals don´t really get into eating frozen Daphnia. Also, in my experience, the Mysis are a messy food and about half of it is left untouched, but each animal is a world xD

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Thank you!
I will try all of it (I mean try feeding it...I am not actually tempted myself :D - it's only a couple of cubes of the weird stuff. I'll schedule it before tank clean-up.

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
I used the white mosquito larvae yesterday and I don't think I'll repeat that. I defrosted the cube and put some into the tank and they floated. I thought I would have to clean the tank because of this. Luckily the newts picked the food from the water surface without any problems... but today I found two absolutely disgusting living mosquito larvae swimming in the tank.

BellaHamilton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Regarding your question I can say that mysis shrimp are supposed to be useful for the fish because of the amount of protien they contain.
However, I read also that it`s better to feed your fish with spirulina that helps increase their colors more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: oh yes we’re all very sarcastic +1