Turkish roaches for tree frogs

Judojack5

Reaction score
Country
Guam
Does anyone have any experience with feeding Turkish roaches to their frogs? I have quite a few geckos and frogs so I heard that breeding roaches was much easier and beneficial than crickets. Here is a link to information about the Turkish roach Turkistan Roaches:Blatta lateralis:Turkistan Roaches:Blatta lateralis. My main concern is if their shell would cause damage over time to my frogs even though it says they're thin. I'd most likely only be using medium and large sized juvenile roaches to feed my frogs since my smallest tree frog is a clown tree frog and my biggest would be a red legged walking frog and big eyed moon frogs.

I feed them to my frogs without any problems. But as with any other insect with an exo-skeleton, there is always the risk of impaction.

I've also heard that dubia roaches are good to use also but many of my tanks are heavily planted and I heard that dubias like to hide so i'm worried my frogs wouldn't be able to find them. Has anyone had this problem?

I would assume that to be more of a problem for diurnal animals. Since the roaches would hide by day then come out at night I see it very easy for tree frogs to find them and eat them during the course of the night.

Yeah that makes a lot of since, thanks for the input. Do you know a reliable site I could get Turkish roaches from?

AHA,roaches are ace they don't bite your animals if you keep your animals i a warm room but not into the 90s if they get out they die if you keep certain species here is what i use . B Dubai cant climb glass very use full. Green Banana roaches adults fly larvae lives in 4inch depth of peat feed on ripe bananas t-frogs love them Giant cave big but small larvae eaten by all amphibs. Surinam all female live in 4inch depth of peat really prolific dig them out and drop them in . Hissing cockroaches get big but babies are useful these climb glass so be careful I have some others, but these are the best, banana roaches are brill. The main thing is if any of these get out they cant breed and infest your home. They are easier to gut load too allpet roach site should give you some ideas.:eek: I dont keep turkish as someone told me they can breed in your house if they escape. Crickets die in a couple of days need gut loading full of **** and if they get out chirp all bloody night in your room. Plus lost a tomato frog to infection when it was bitten on the face by a field cricket .Have fun :tongue:

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back