Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton ID Needed

Viv

Reaction score
Hi. I have a pair that I used to think were T. shanjing but I posted some pictures and they said that they were not T.shanjing but another species of tylototriton. Here is a picture. Can someone identify them.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 860

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a shanjing with the head of a kweichowensis :cool: Frankenstein has been at work....

I think its' probably just a shanjing with a dark head - quite unusual though.

sparkyr99

Reaction score
They look exactly like mine. I was under the impression that the ones i got were T. shanjing, But i'm not an expert, yet!

Attachments

• newt 021.jpg
    newt 021.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 605

Joost

Reaction score
It'sprobably a subspecies of T. kweichowensis. There have been more reports of kweicho's in the trade with dots in stead of dorsolateral lines.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it does. I´ve noticed it emidiatly too. Its defenetly a t. kweichowensis with broken strips. Question is, subspecies of nominal T. kweichowensis or a hybrid like those presented all over the web as natural shanjing x kweichowensis hybrids?
Cheers,

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't shanjing posess orange limbs?

Yes they do, and a google image search results in many kweichowensis examples with dorsolateral spots. You can definitely get kweichowensis without dorsolateral warts but I've never seen a shanjing without warts. There's already enough confusion over shanjing and verrucosus without kweichows getting in on the mix....:crazy:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Hi all.
Here is a very helpful link:
Liangshan crocodile salamanders - The Alberta Reptile and Amphibian Society
If you think it´s inappropiate put this link, just delete it.
Bye
That's my thread. I have about 30 of these, and have seen about 100. They're very consistent, which argues against them being hybrids, and they differ in key features from both T.shanjing and T.kweichowensis. They are NOT T.shanjing. They MIGHT be a variant of T.kweichowensis, but since the latter in the past have been consistently three-striped with fused warts, I believe these to be an undescribed species. I have still not submitted preserved specimens for testing, but will be. Meanwhile, T.cf.kweichowensis is probably the best name. They like it quite dry, and a damp and humid environment tends to spell death for them.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given the number of variants and intermediates I've seen, my guess (and it's totally just a wild guess) is that verrucosus, shanjing, and kweichowensis could be all one species with different geographical color/size variants. Just like Notophthalmus viridescens and it's wide distribution and color variants. The genetic work has been done for Notos, but not for Tylos.

Viv

Reaction score
They are about 6-7 inches long but I don't know their age but I am guessing they are almost fully grown.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!