Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

U.S.Salamander keepers

E

erik

I have been wanting to comment on this for quite a while, so here we go... and I am not preaching here, just trying to start a dialogue really...

It seems that most keepers here in the US are focused on aquiring "exotic" species such as Triturus, Neurergus, Tylototrion, etc... while I do keep several foriegn species and while many of them are on my 'most wanted' list...

Don't forget-you live in a country with an AMAZING amount of very diverse species. 95% of which have never even been bred in captivity before. Most of the species are not protected and can be collected with just a little effort if you do your homework.

Consider aquiring a group of native species and making a solid effort to breed them. You may be the first to do so, which to me at least is exciting.

Nate and Paris both had very significant breedings this year. Congrats to both of them for their success. Hopefully we will hear about more in the months and years to come.

Take what you read with a grain of salt. Most of the US species are not that difficult to keep and who knows how many could be bred if someone put in the effort.

Just a thought!

Rev. Erik

A

aaron

I completely agree with you here. Although some exotics are beautiful, we have some of the most sought after species right here in the US.

Before I was really into the hobby, I knew that T. granulosa was widely held be collectors. It was once I got into the hobby and started learning more that I found out they are bred by very few people in the US(I'm the only one I know of so far this year). These are very hardy and truely interesting newts. They eat like pigs and are very active. I'm sure this is true for many other species, yet everyone focuses so much attention on exotics that they are forgotten.

~Aaron

E

erik

Good job on the granulosa. Imagine how many thousands are collected for the pet trade each year and you are one of a very small number in the US to breed them.

K

keegan

I was just about to start my own thread, but can probably tack on here...

While I have been religiously reading through this forum for probably 6 months, I do not have any caudates. I might be the most active, non-keeper!

Sooo - what are peoples favorite newts, that are available captive bred in Canada and the US? Here in Alberta, firebellys and (very occasionally) Taricha newts are offered in pet stores.

I think I am leaning towards either T. granulosa/ torosa, or N. viridescens.

Furhter to that - I will not buy from a pet store (even on the off chance they had what I wanted) - so who has some captive bred offspring I could buy?

This post sort of belongs in the wanteds - I'll place something simmilar there - but I thought there also might be some discussion...

Thanks all,

Keegan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1