Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Uh is my axolotl sleeping? Just checking

Junaz

Reaction score
Her water is good, she ate when I fed her last, but shes just kinda chilling at the bottom of her tank. I know thats what they're supposed to do, but shes out in the open and I watched her do a weird yawn thing. I looked up if axolotls yawned and it said they do it before they throw up or something. So...she's ok, right? She's very slowly moving around the bottom of her tank, and here's some pictures of the stuff I've observed in the last few minutes. Nothing particularly odd. I'm not freaking out or anything, I'm just checking to make sure she's ok and that this is normal.

Attachments

• 20210130_132820.jpg
    20210130_132820.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 815
  • 20210130_130501.jpg
    20210130_130501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • 20210130_131309.jpg
    20210130_131309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172

AnimeDan

Reaction score
Axolotls are nocturnal and take naps frequently throughout the day. I find that mine are most active in the morning and entering later afternoon -night where they are the most active. As long as your axie doesn’t throw up then they are fine, if they just ate sometimes they do that to help them swallow. He might have also eaten some sand because Axolotls are kinda dumb and do that, it looks like you have a fine sand though so it will pass through fine so don’t worry about impaction unless there’s gravel in there. Axolotls yawn and burp for a few reasons that aren’t necessarily bad. Sometime if they’ve been standing over the bubbler then they will burp out air bubbles and it’s pretty cute. As long as your Axie isn’t acting stressed or sick, refusing meals, itchy, etc. then it should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!