Uncycled tank and first time axolotl owner! Help!

ImperialKit

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello! This is my first post here and first-time Axolotl owner! I am waiting on a baby wild type, GFP, with a physical abnormality.

I have been prepping for days for this new axie! I am planning to finish getting all my supplies tomorrow and the baby on Friday, but today was when I learnt more about cycling your tank and I feel really bad for not knowing about that! I have heard that it is impossible to cycle a tank in just 24 hours, so my anxiety and stress levels are through the roof now!

I was wondering if I would be able to keep my axolotl in the uncycled tank, as long as I thoroughly watch ammonia levels every day, don't make a mess while feeding, and use treated tap water! I am planning to add only live plants to my tank, a big sponge filter, and I have a water dechlorinator that also claims to detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (Seachem Prime). In my city tap water, the levels are:

Ammonia: <0.05mg/Liter

Nitrite:<0.005mg/Liter

Nitrate:0.09 mg/Liter

pH:7.6

Please tell me all your opinions and suggestions! Anything helps! Although please be gentle...

Don't feel bad !!

It the number 1 thing new owners have issues with.

Cycling takes 4-6 weeks

No never keep your axolotl in a tank while cycling. Always keep them tubbed while you work through cycling.

What test kit are you using so I can look at the conversion for what readings you need.

I had the same problem, which Calgary knows about😂 I’m using Seachem Stability, and I’d recommend using a heater+bioblock, since the bacteria forms quicker in hot climates. No, you can not keep your axolotl in the tank while cycling, this resulted in my baby getting minor ammonia burn. I hope this helped! (And thanks Calgary for just helping me learn this)😂

What Area of Calgary are you in ? If you are close enough to me I can maybe give you some media from a cycled filter or squeeze out some of the media to help you cycle faster.

Hello! This is my first post here and first-time Axolotl owner! I am waiting on a baby wild type, GFP, with a physical abnormality.

I have been prepping for days for this new axie! I am planning to finish getting all my supplies tomorrow and the baby on Friday, but today was when I learnt more about cycling your tank and I feel really bad for not knowing about that! I have heard that it is impossible to cycle a tank in just 24 hours, so my anxiety and stress levels are through the roof now!

I was wondering if I would be able to keep my axolotl in the uncycled tank, as long as I thoroughly watch ammonia levels every day, don't make a mess while feeding, and use treated tap water! I am planning to add only live plants to my tank, a big sponge filter, and I have a water dechlorinator that also claims to detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (Seachem Prime). In my city tap water, the levels are:

Ammonia: <0.05mg/Liter

Nitrite:<0.005mg/Liter

Nitrate:0.09 mg/Liter

pH:7.6

Please tell me all your opinions and suggestions! Anything helps! Although please be gentle...

Thank you! I actually don’t live in Australia, when I registered i clicked on it by accident and it won’t let me change it😂 thank you for the offer though! And thanks for all the help with cycling and such!

Don't feel bad !!

It the number 1 thing new owners have issues with.

Cycling takes 4-6 weeks

No never keep your axolotl in a tank while cycling. Always keep them tubbed while you work through cycling.

What test kit are you using so I can look at the conversion for what readings you need.
I am using the API freshwater test kit! I just got back from a pet emporium in my city and the axolotls owners there told me that our water is OK, it’s just the chorine I gotta watch out for, so I got Prime and one of them gave me a fresh bottle of beneficial bacteria to help speed up the process.

I had the same problem, which Calgary knows about😂 I’m using Seachem Stability, and I’d recommend using a heater+bioblock, since the bacteria forms quicker in hot climates. No, you can not keep your axolotl in the tank while cycling, this resulted in my baby getting minor ammonia burn. I hope this helped! (And thanks Calgary for just helping me learn this)😂
Aw I hope the baby is doing OK! And thanks for your input!

Which brand of beneficial bacteria? The Pisces brand you need to watch for aloe.

The API freshwater should give you a ppm measurement.

You are a good 30 minutes from me so that wont work.

You cannot have your axolotl in the water while cycling as you need to dose ammonia to 4ppm daily.

Petstores want to fill your tank fast they dont care if its done properly.

I am using the API freshwater test kit! I just got back from a pet emporium in my city and the axolotls owners there told me that our water is OK, it’s just the chorine I gotta watch out for, so I got Prime and one of them gave me a fresh bottle of beneficial bacteria to help speed up the process.

Which brand of beneficial bacteria? The Pisces brand you need to watch for aloe.

The API freshwater should give you a ppm measurement.

You are a good 30 minutes from me so that wont work.

You cannot have your axolotl in the water while cycling as you need to dose ammonia to 4ppm daily.

Petstores want to fill your tank fast they dont care if its done properly.
Ah I see...I feel really bad if I have to tub it though. And it rly scares me that it can take up to two months. This whole cycling thing has made my anxiety spike through the roof, which is ironic because I’m getting this axolotl to help with distracting and calming me down...I forgot the brand sorry, I’ll check when I get home

If any friends near you have an established fish tank you could maybe get media from them as well.

Cycling is an entire process unfortunately.

Tubbing is completely safe and you can use a big tub as long as you do daily 100% water changes. I've used underbed storage totes, shoe boxes, food containers, even ikea storage containers.

Ah I see...I feel really bad if I have to tub it though. And it rly scares me that it can take up to two months. This whole cycling thing has made my anxiety spike through the roof, which is ironic because I’m getting this axolotl to help with distracting and calming me down...I forgot the brand sorry, I’ll check when I get home

If any friends near you have an established fish tank you could maybe get media from them as well.

Cycling is an entire process unfortunately.

Tubbing is completely safe and you can use a big tub as long as you do daily 100% water changes. I've used underbed storage totes, shoe boxes, food containers, even ikea storage containers.
Oh OK! I do remember my mom is friends with a woman who owns many aquariums! I’ll also go check my local pet store to see if they have any established media as well! Thank you for being so nice to me ☺️ What would you recommend to add the ammonia? Should I use frozen shrimp? Because I have a lot of those. If not, where can I find pure ammonia?

Oh OK! I do remember my mom is friends with a woman who owns many aquariums! I’ll also go check my local pet store to see if they have any established media as well! Thank you for being so nice to me ☺ What would you recommend to add the ammonia? Should I use frozen shrimp? Because I have a lot of those. If not, where can I find pure ammonia?
I just dose my axolotls pellets that she’s boycotted😂😂

I help many many many new owners get their tanks going and stable for a healthy tank.

Pure ammonia is your best bet to get to the proper concentration. Amazon has liquid and powder available.
Adding a heater makes a huge difference in speed.
You do need a freshwater master test kit to be able to test daily.

I do not recommend pet store media as they are a hot spot for parasites and disease with a constant influx from wholesalers and private owners.
Even asking on some of the local aquatic forums there are alot of hobbyists in the south of Calgary that may be able to help.

Oh OK! I do remember my mom is friends with a woman who owns many aquariums! I’ll also go check my local pet store to see if they have any established media as well! Thank you for being so nice to me ☺ What would you recommend to add the ammonia? Should I use frozen shrimp? Because I have a lot of those. If not, where can I find pure ammonia?

I help many many many new owners get their tanks going and stable for a healthy tank.

Pure ammonia is your best bet to get to the proper concentration. Amazon has liquid and powder available.

I do not recommend pet store media as they are a hot spot for parasites and disease with a constant influx from wholesalers and private owners.
Even asking on some of the local aquatic forums there are alot of hobbyists in the south of Calgary that may be able to help.
Oh ok then I’ll ask my mom’s friend who has an aquarium! I don’t have a heater though as I got one second hand but it was so dirty I just had to throw it away...Maybe I’ll try to find one way to heat it up. I’m really sad you can’t come over to help though lol

UPDATE
I just got home and did water tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and pH, all of them were at 0ppm! Right now I’m soaking my filter in beneficial bacteria for 12-24 hours before putting it in my tank to help speed up the process. I also have good news in the form that I got 2 filters with my used tank, I threw away a heavily used one but I kept another used one cause it didn’t look as dirty! So I have used filter media! I don’t have enough time to go out and find/buy pure ammonia so I will add frozen shrimp and hopefully everything I’m doing will help!

Zeros across the board means new tank uncycled.

Used media needs to be from a current running tank - old dry media does not have live bacteria unfortunately.

You need to test daily for ammonia and nitrite - keep the ammonia approx 4ppm - once you start seeing nitrites then start testing for nitrates as well.
keep dosing ammonia back up to 4ppm daily after you test.

When you test and you have zero ammonia, 0-slight nitrites and high nitrates you are almost there.
You prove your cycle now by adding ammonia wait 24 hours, test if the same, dose ammonia and wait again, repeat 1 more time.
after 3 days you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and high nitrate.
You need to get your nitrates to 10-20ppm then its safe to add your lotl.

Thats the cliff notes version
if Nitrates or Nitrites get too high a water change may be needed
Do not touch your filter media it holds your cycle.

Zeros across the board means new tank uncycled.

Used media needs to be from a current running tank - old dry media does not have live bacteria unfortunately.

You need to test daily for ammonia and nitrite - keep the ammonia approx 4ppm - once you start seeing nitrites then start testing for nitrates as well.
keep dosing ammonia back up to 4ppm daily after you test.

When you test and you have zero ammonia, 0-slight nitrites and high nitrates you are almost there.
You prove your cycle now by adding ammonia wait 24 hours, test if the same, dose ammonia and wait again, repeat 1 more time.
after 3 days you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and high nitrate.
You need to get your nitrates to 10-20ppm then its safe to add your lotl.

Thats the cliff notes version
if Nitrates or Nitrites get too high a water change may be needed
Do not touch your filter media it holds your cycle.
Ok! Thank you so much for all your help and advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back