Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

under feeding question

Benny2k1

Reaction score
hi all i have posted previously with an introduction to my newts/problems.

i have 4 cynops orientals and after tryin with live bloodworm/earthworms the only thing i can get them to eat is frozen mosquito larvee!!

they come in cubes, i feed them 1 cube every 3/4 days wich gets demolished in no time, the question is, is this underfeeding them at all??

many thanks

Ben

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If they still act hungry, I would try offering more food. The general rule of thumb is however much they can eat in 15 minutes. Or feed them until they look plump. If they start getting skinny, you may be underfeeding.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they have been underfed for a period of time prior to now, then I would suggest feeding them every day until they fatten up a bit. When you see them have less appetite, then decrease back to feeding every 3-4 days. If they came recently from a pet shop, you can safely assume that they were starved prior to you getting them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!