Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unidentified salamander.

Lamarca

Reaction score
Bought this salamander from a wholesaler titled “ambystoma.” It’s a male so not a hybrid. He’s 7 inches, he’s got large greenish blue spots. Not a laterale and pretty sure he’s not a mabees salamander. Picture below.

Attachments

• 7010CFCB-D773-4C04-9832-66D599ABA7DA.jpeg
    7010CFCB-D773-4C04-9832-66D599ABA7DA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 237

Roughskinned

Reaction score
I’m not sure what kind of salamander that is, but To Me it looks very thin and potentially unhealthy, which could lead to a difficult identification. I would have it taken to a vet.

Reaction score
It looks like a tiger salamander to me but in very poor conditions. I also believe taking him to a vet would be the best and smartest thing to do. Untill then make sure he has a moist enviroment and acces to clean water. If he poops I would keep it in a bag and then put it in the freezer in case the vet needs it for parasite control or something like that.

I hope that he gets well soon.

Lamarca

Reaction score
It looks like a tiger salamander but if you can find me a picture of any that look like this I’ll wait.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1