Unusual axolotl injury, please help!

averyaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last night I was feeding my axie a large worm, which he normally handles well. However, the worm somehow managed to break through the skin near the base of his gills in order to escape. Basically my axolotl has a wound at the base of his gills (or by the top of his neck), which I'm unsure how to deal with, as I've never dealt with something like this before. Unfortunately I can't get a good photo because his gills are blocking me from even seeing the wound well.
There didn't seem to be any blood in the water, so I'm not worried about him bleeding out or anything. However, what I am worried about is a) it will make him more difficult to feed, since worms could escape through the wound in his mouth, and b) it could become infected as it heals, which I obviously need to avoid.
What should I do about this? I'm thinking I should give him tea baths to stop infection, but should I leave his air stone on or will the moving water irritate the wound as it heals? Thanks in advance for helping!

Are you sure it's a wound?
Sounds like the worm just came through the gill slit. All axolotls have an opening in the side of the jaw, behind the gills. Sometimes worms manage to find it and crawl through.
I've never heard of it having any negative consequences.

Some recent other people who had the same happen:

Are you sure it's a wound?
Sounds like the worm just came through the gill slit. All axolotls have an opening in the side of the jaw, behind the gills. Sometimes worms manage to find it and crawl through.
I've never heard of it having any negative consequences.

Some recent other people who had the same happen:
Omg I'm so relieved! I assumed that axolotls didn't have gill slits because their gills are external, so I'm pretty sure that's what happened because there was no blood or anything. Thanks for letting me know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back