Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update on my spotted salamanders.

SweetApples

Reaction score
I still have a small batch of sallies from last summer. They currently reside in two terrariums( a 40 and a 55 gal.). I counted 11 recently, but I did not do a tank tear-down in the original setup so the last one may be hiding yet.
I'm not sure quite of how much room they'll need as adults ( I read 10 gal per adult somewhere). So that would mean I would need to upgrade /move them once more down the road.
I sure hope I manage to raise at least a pair to adulthood. Going by someone else's thread, maybe breeding will be a possibility down the road?, I guess going by their sizes and that I think they'd need another year, I won't get my hopes up.

I also checked on the pond that they came from in my parent's back yard to see if the wild sallies bred there again, none yet as far as I can see. Today there is snow on the ground so maybe the wild salamanders have not come out yet to breed. I have mixed feelings if they do breed there again, because there is always the potential for my father (who does not care) to drain the pond and dump them out to die on the ground because he wants to clean out his pond.

I am trying to get a small pond of my own this spring sometime, will most likely be a 300 gal. rubbermaid tub. I could use it to raise tadpoles, use it to raise more salamanders from my parents pond if they return or I could put my goldfish in there. I could easly use TWO ponds considering I'd like to put my goldies outside and raise some tads. But they cost about $250 min right now, so we'll see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!