Updates (on my collection)

R

rob

Well, I decided to let the temperature in my room slip down into the 60's and leave the lights off for about 3 days...so only natural light through one window.

I have since found that my ribbeds are still amplexing (about a month now) and I've noticed my fires are doing what appears to be mating behaviour. One, I assume a male, will get on top of the other and rub his chin across the others nose. THey also do some amplexing (or what appears to be amplexing). The one that is usually stuck underneath (I assume the female) is always running away from it.

Also, the sick fire I had appears to have made a full recover and put on an extra bit of weight. After seeing him/her eat 5 crickets this week I put her back in with the others.

I've seen my rough skins start amplexing again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Lastly, my male mandarin seems to be hanging out in the water a lot more now, and the females seem to take turns going in there with him as well. I haven't seen tail fanning or any other mating behavour, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

On a new purchase note I found the cutest and chubbiest little chinese firebelly the other day. He caught my eye because the store owner was keeping him in with Firebelly toads( I told him they would get eaten about a month ago but he didn't believe me, and just got in a new shipment today). Well, this little guy was white where he should have been black on top, with grey flecks throughout. His underbelly was still red with black spots/blotches, but otherwise he looked very unique. I know it's not abnormal for FBN to turn grey during breeding season, but I've seen a few and this one seems to be the whitest looking grey yet. Makes me wonder if it could just be a strange colouration unique to him.

Thought others may be interested...hope all is well with everyone else.

Rob

Hi Rob, that mandarin behavior sure sounds interesting. I'd love to hear of some shanjing breeding on the continent by a private individual finally ;)

Is anyone breeding them in the US now? I bred them once in '97, but I don't keep Tylototriton anymore. I know most of the Tylototriton sp. are being kept over here, so I guess it's just a matter of time...

I'm in Canada, pretty close to the US!

I'm hoping the Mandarin's end up producing, but I'm trying not to count my chicken's before they hatch or newts before they hatch I guess would be more accurate!

I will keep you posted though Nate, don't fear that. Everyone on here will hear about any of my success/failures...as I hope to hear of everyone else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back