Upgrading tank!

BasilBear

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am very happy to say that I will be switching my Axolotl from a 20gallon tall aquarium to a 29 gallon! I will be using the same exact filter media from his already established tank. My question is would I have to wait for the new tank to cycle or would I just be able to transfer him right away? I can also add the same exact water he’s in now to the new set up if that would help. I hope this all made sense and thank you so much for reading this!

Hello everyone! I am very happy to say that I will be switching my Axolotl from a 20gallon tall aquarium to a 29 gallon! I will be using the same exact filter media from his already established tank. My question is would I have to wait for the new tank to cycle or would I just be able to transfer him right away? I can also add the same exact water he’s in now to the new set up if that would help. I hope this all made sense and thank you so much for reading this!
easiest way is get the new tank rinsed/washed out with water then place it where you want it to go, fill it up with water and leave to sit for a couple of days to allow the water to vent and settle, when you are ready to transfer empty half the tank and refill with water from your established tank, move filter and any ornaments over then transfer your axolotl.
keep a eye on the water parameters for a week or so to make sure everything is good, always remember that even though the filter coped in a 20 gallon tank it doesn't mean it will cope in a larger tank as it requires a larger amount of water to be cleaned.
always make sure the temperature is good and the water is oxygenated enough.

Thank you so much for all of you advice I really appreciate it, your method seems a lot easier then the one I was thinking of 😆. I forgot to mention in the post that I did get a bigger filter for the new tank. So there would be better filtration and more oxogen. Currently he has an aquaclear 30 hang back filter and Im going to be upgrading him to a 50. What I was going to do was just transfer his current media into the new filter, then after a couple of weeks or so slowly change the smaller media to a larger media made for the 50. If I do it this way do you think I would still be able to add him to the tank right away? Again thank you so much for your suggestions!

Thank you so much for all of you advice I really appreciate it, your method seems a lot easier then the one I was thinking of 😆. I forgot to mention in the post that I did get a bigger filter for the new tank. So there would be better filtration and more oxogen. Currently he has an aquaclear 30 hang back filter and Im going to be upgrading him to a 50. What I was going to do was just transfer his current media into the new filter, then after a couple of weeks or so slowly change the smaller media to a larger media made for the 50. If I do it this way do you think I would still be able to add him to the tank right away? Again thank you so much for your suggestions!
if you are changing media by removal put the old media in a mesh bag in the tank so the bacteria can transfer easier. either way it can take up to a month for bacteria to establish in new filter media so keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrites, the nitrates will be lower in the new tank at first because of the larger amount of water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back