Illness/Sickness: Urgent! Spotted salamander cut

axolotl27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carly P
I removed my spotted salamander, Hugo, from his tank, for a little spot cleaning. I was trying to dab away some of what looked like dirt from his lower mouth, and I realized there was some blood. I immediately stopped, don't worry, I wasn't dabbing that hard, and it wasn't because I was doing so that he got a little cut. It looked like he had a little sore, and I though maybe he may have been chewed on by a cricket (we put some in because he likes to hunt at night, and he won't hand feed). I don't know what to do, and I need advice. Anything helps!

I though I might describe it as well:

On second glance, it looks like it may be an infection or fungus. I hope not.

He is bleeding from the lower jaw, an open raw spot.It may be a sore. It kind of looks like some creature took a bite of his flesh.

I removed a potentially dangerous cave in the habitat, because I noticed it may have had a sharp object. I also, as I said above, took out the 3 crickets in case they could harm him. I don't even know if that was the right thing to do!

I was wondering especially, if I should remove him from his tank. I though maybe I could put him in a plastic bin with a wet paper towel substrate, but I thought it might cause stress. Again, anything possible helps. I just need advice.

It is possible a cricket has bitten him. Can you add a photo of the wound area ?

IMG_0409.jpg

Sorry, wrong photo. Here's the right one, hopefully, and sorry if it's upside down:
IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

I'll say one thing, he seems quite active for a nocturnal animal. He has been walking all over his tank. It's le he hated the crickets or something.

It now appears to be caked with dirt. Either that, or it has scabbed over. Should I remove him from the dirt?

Based on what I found over the Internet, I have removed him from his dirt and placed him in a plastic bin with a shredded paper towel setup, his favorite hide, and his old water bowl. He seems to have eaten a worm. I also gave him Neosporin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back