Illness/Sickness: URGENT: Weak tiger sal

Meghann1993

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried to find my answer and can't seem to get it anywhere. I have three newly morphed tiger salamanders two of which are typical, big, black and yellow tiger sals. and the other is small and steal grey colored. My question is if he's sick or not, and if so, what is going on? I never see him eat and when I hand feed him he only eats one little chunk of night crawler. He seems weak to me when he walks. I picked him up today to put him in a bucket while I cleaned and rearranged their tank and he seemed to just almost flop around when he walked like he has very little use of his legs. My hands were wet and so I know he wasn't just sticking to me. Can someone please help me to understand what is going on with our baby and how I can help him!?

Have the other tiger sals shown signs of disease? If not then it might be something genetic.

No the other two are completely fine. In fact they look and act extremely healthy. We lost the little guy last night. I did everything I knew how too. I put him in quarantine and gave him water and cut up food for him and made sure he was moist all the time and never got dried out but he barley moved at all the last two days and didn't even try to eat. I didn't know what else to do and did all the research I could but I don't think there was anything I could do for him. Poor little guy. We will be burying him in the front yard today. ?

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully your remaining sals will be alright, you did everything you could for the one that passed. He deserved a good burial.:(

Thank you. The other two are doing great! I think that the one that died didn't morph right or something because he never grew and never got his colors. At first I thought maybe he was a different type but I don't honk that was the case. He's buried under our lilac bush in out front yard now. Poor little guy. My husband is heartbroken, toothless was his salamander that he picked out and named. At least he was very loved while he was with us.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back