Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

using Prime, water still has high ammonia levels

pickel!

Reaction score
i have 5 gallon buckets that i use for water changes and i've noticed that all my ammonia and nitrite levels are extremely high in the tank so i'm either going to tub my axie to fix my tank or try daily water changes until the quality is better.

i decided to test if my water dechlorinator is even working. i use Prime and after 10 drops (doing the 2 drops per gallon), the ammonia level is still about 1.0-2.0ppm. if that's safe, then i'll go ahead and do a water change with it but i don't think it's supposed to be that high.

as for the tank, i'm ashamed to admit it's at the max testing level for ammonia and nitrates, ammonia being >8.0ppm and nitrates being >160ppm. i feel like i need to urgently get him out of the tank into clean water (i have a tub at hand ready for him), but if i can't make my own tap water safe i can take a trip to the pet store and get fresh or salt water to mix with it, as i've been recommend before.

please help!

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
i have 5 gallon buckets that i use for water changes and i've noticed that all my ammonia and nitrite levels are extremely high in the tank so i'm either going to tub my axie to fix my tank or try daily water changes until the quality is better.

i decided to test if my water dechlorinator is even working. i use Prime and after 10 drops (doing the 2 drops per gallon), the ammonia level is still about 1.0-2.0ppm. if that's safe, then i'll go ahead and do a water change with it but i don't think it's supposed to be that high.

as for the tank, i'm ashamed to admit it's at the max testing level for ammonia and nitrates, ammonia being >8.0ppm and nitrates being >160ppm. i feel like i need to urgently get him out of the tank into clean water (i have a tub at hand ready for him), but if i can't make my own tap water safe i can take a trip to the pet store and get fresh or salt water to mix with it, as i've been recommend before.

please help!
Ok, let me get this straight. Your water out of the tap is testing at 1-2ppm?

Your axolotl needs to be removed from that tank immediately and put in a tub with cold fresh water (if your water truly is 1-2ppm out of the tap, you need to find a new source of water). Anything above 1 ppm is lethal.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score

Your axolotl needs to be removed from that tank immediately and put in a tub with cold fresh water (if your water truly is 1-2ppm out of the tap, you need to find a new source of water). Anything above 1 ppm is lethal.
genuinely surprised the little one is still alive :(

pickel!

Reaction score

im moving him out of the tank now. and yes, out from the tap its testing at 1-2+ ppm of ammonia. to be completely honest, i'm an emotional wreck at the moment and im post surgery so i can't do much lifting and im needing help from the people in my house. i'm very close to just surrendering him to someone near me, but until then im doing the best i can.

after i get him out how should i go about cycling and establishing a good tank?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
im moving him out of the tank now. and yes, out from the tap its testing at 1-2+ ppm of ammonia. to be completely honest, i'm an emotional wreck at the moment and im post surgery so i can't do much lifting and im needing help from the people in my house. i'm very close to just surrendering him to someone near me, but until then im doing the best i can.

after i get him out how should i go about cycling and establishing a good tank?
You're not going to be able to continue to house him with water like that. That level of ammonia out of the tap isn't safe, even with using Prime to help detoxify it. It's just not healthy.

Even if your tap water were safe, water changes need to be done on a weekly basis. If you cant physically manage that, I would consider re-homing him. While its never fun to surrender an animal, you have to do what is in his best interest. Where abouts in the US are you? I take in rescues/surrenders on a regular basis and would be happy to help you.

pickel!

Reaction score
You're not going to be able to continue to house him with water like that. That level of ammonia out of the tap isn't safe, even with using Prime to help detoxify it. It's just not healthy.

Even if your tap water were safe, water changes need to be done on a weekly basis. If you cant physically manage that, I would consider re-homing him. While its never fun to surrender an animal, you have to do what is in his best interest. Where abouts in the US are you? I take in rescues/surrenders on a regular basis and would be happy to help you.
I'm in northeast Kansas. i'm deciding to surrender/rehome him for his best interest. it hurts immensely to do so but i know its for the better. if you can help me find someone sooner i'd really appreciate it, i'm currently waiting to get into a facebook group made for rehoming

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1