Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

UV Sterilization??

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Hello, my axolotl Lex is recovering from some fungus on his gill. One tip of the gill had a large ball of fungus that fell off, but it is still white. I have managed to get water levels back to ideal without chlorinating the tank (my city is awful for chlorine).

I was Just wondering if anyone has experience with UV light sterilization? Is it a good idea for axolotls? Does it help kill fungus like some say? Does it ruin the cycle? Does it seriously bother axolotls? (I do have 6 moss balls that would also benefit from this).

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,
I have no experience in UV with aquarium water, but I have a bit of professional knowledge about UV disinfection :
UV dont penetrate deep in the water. To be effective in water sterilization, UV must be applied on a very low water depth.
This water must be very clear ; if the water is trouble (solid particles in it), UV are inefficient.
So you can imagine sterilize water circulating outside the aquarium, but I don't believe putting UV directly above the tank will do something.

That being said, UV on circulating water probably wont kill anything in the tank.
UV probably wont act on the cause of the fungus problem, which you need to find and correct (see the many other post which have been published in this forum)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1