Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vbulletin 4 and Caudata.org

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear Caudata.org Member,

As many of you are aware, we use the forum software "Vbulletin". Recently the company that manufactures it was bought out and they have re-targeted their business model, resulting in a distinctly different approach to how their software ticks and how they market it.

They are about to release version 4.0 of their software next week and I am writing to tell you that I currently have no plans of moving to version 4.0. Many hours of research over the past 6+ months have led me to conclude that version 4.0 is not a smart avenue as it stands right now. I don't like the licensing changes and I don't like what they're trying to do with the software. I can't see either changing in the near future, so for now I intend to avoid version 4.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

Thanks for your time,

-John

Last edited:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Does this simply mean that the software will not be upgraded at this time or does it mean that a migration to a new system is ahead of us?

-Eva

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this simply mean that the software will not be upgraded at this time or does it mean that a migration to a new system is ahead of us?
The software will not be upgraded at this time. However I can't rule out a migration to a new system in the future and I include vbulletin 4 in that description "new system".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!