Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

vet very wrongly directs an axolotl owner

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
i was scrolling through and i saw this; https://www.justanswer.com/pet/fh4oh-need-help-axolotl-losing-weight.html and am absolutely horrified- the animal looks near death and severely underfed, not to mention the gills, and the vet says “it’s fine” like wHaT? kind of upset that a vet could/would do this to an animal so close to death, especially when they have had over 20 years of practice

Herpin Man

Reaction score
In my experience, most vets, including those who specialize in herps, know little about husbandry.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
In my experience, most vets, including those who specialize in herps, know little about husbandry.
i just was shocked to see that a professional would offer such advice. they didn’t suggest feeding more and the animal is clearly emaciated

lukebuck

Reaction score
I think that it is very important for a vet, to be specialized in a specific breed of animals so that he/she would not mess up the things and would redirect (the axolotl in this case), with the wrong cure. That is why, before going to a vet, I am trying to check some of the vet schools from Top 14 Best Veterinary Assistant Schools for 2021 * Choose Wisely! just to be sure in some cases that the vet knows its job and on top of that, when you are informed, it creates a different attitude from the veterinarian side. Kindly recommend it to all the lovers of animals, who are taking care of their pets!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!