Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Viable eggs?

legnadesufnoc

Reaction score
Like many others I have seen on here, we had a surprise this week when one of our axolotls decided to lay some eggs! Our axolotls are still young and we weren't even sure of the genders yet so this was a surprise, possibly older than we thought!
I have been trying to figure out whether these eggs are viable or not, these were laid Monday/Tuesday and we are now at Saturday, so about day 4, and they don't seem to have changed much, could this be because it is cold (Currently in the middle of Winter here).
But the majority of them look like this, oval with a line down them. Sorry the pic isn't the best, it's hard to try to get a good photo showing the details.
Does anyone know if this is a normal part of development or are they not viable? If it's a normal stage of development, we will get onto organising food for when they hatch :)
Thank you for your help :)

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 584

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
Your photo is neat enough to show a typical neurula stage : neural tube in process.
This is a normal stage for a viable embryo.
Congratulations !

You have about 8-10 days to prepare the food for the future hatchlings : little live preys like brine shrimps for example.

legnadesufnoc

Reaction score
Hi,
Your photo is neat enough to show a typical neurula stage : neural tube in process.
This is a normal stage for a viable embryo.
Congratulations !

You have about 8-10 days to prepare the food for the future hatchlings : little live preys like brine shrimps for example.
Oh that's awesome! Thank you for your help! I had tried googling it but didn't have much luck, but having the name of the stage made it much easier and found heaps of information (great for the kids!) Exciting!
Do you know what colours we could expect by any chance? The eggs are black or black/white and come from a leucistic mum and golden albino dad. Unknown heritage but not related..

JM29

Reaction score
Sorry but at this stage, the embryo has the colour of the egg, depending on the mother.
The colours of the larvae can be guessed only when it gets its own pigment cells (within a few days from now).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1