Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Want to know what's unfair?

C

Cliygh and Mia

:( That you can't own native animals other than normal frogs and salamanders in Georgia! :(
I understand that it's to protect the native species, but still I can't own a green anole?
I really like the three toed box turtle, but because it's a sub-species of the eastern box turtle (which I like to) and I can't legally own one. I understand that it could get out and hybridize with native easterns, but they are sooo cute! I, mean look at this!!!!!!

Rollkeeg877

Reaction score
here in Ontario we are not suppose to keep any of our native reptiles and amphibians but guess what we do it anyways lol. as long as they are not to threatened in the wild and they are happy in there tank and stuff i dont see a problem.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I know, but I don't want the government to show up in black SUV's and come in and arrest me

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your priorities could do with some resuffling. We all have species that we'd love to keep but we can't because it's not legal to do so where we live, some of us also abstain from certain species which are legal, because of how they are procured and other considerations. It's a really tiny price to pay to try and take steps towards preserving native or protected fauna. Would you like to be able to see those turtles in the wild 50 years from now, or would you rather keep them as pets knowing that someone is going to do something stupid or that accidents can happen...?
Personally, i'm very contempt to not keep many species. My whims and desires are second place to their well-being and survival.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Yes I know, but we can't even own a green anole without a license:(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a very invasive species where conditions permit, they are even stablishing themselves in certain parts of Spain.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I know that to they are even in my dads native state of California. But do you want to know what's even worse? People who sell random species of animals, namely pet stores, but one person at the Atlanta reptile expo told me that some skinks with blue tails were Indonesian blue tailed skinks and after some internet digging, they were either Emoia caeruleocauda (which I personally think it was) or a juvenile Trachylepis quinquetaeniata

sde

Reaction score
First off, I agree with Azhael. Secondly, your laws aren't bad at all. Take a look at New Jersey laws, or Washington, or Oregon, or California, they are all WAY worse. Consider yourself lucky, you can keep just about any exotic species you want.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I believe most legislation in place regulating what can and cannot be kept as pets and what requires a license is there for usually very good reasons. I think we need to first have a good understanding of why those laws exist before claiming they are unfair and consider why we want to keep that species as a pet. We need to consider whether the particular species can not only survive but thrive in a captive environment and the threat level to native wildlife if it were to escape or be set loose in the wild (whilst responsible pet owners do exist and would not ever release them into the wild, unfortunately there are people who would potentially and this can result in disasterous effects on native wildlife and sometimes accidents happen). I agree with Azhael. We need to put the species welfare first before our own desires to keep these species for our own enjoyment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!